Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet cuts out sporadically for new connections only - Confounding issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 divashenko

divashenko

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

Dear Bleeping computer friends,

I am new here but not exactly new to computers. Generally, I find that a little Google and a little searching, I can find anything. However, this recent problem has me totally perplexed. So here I am, looking for some help from someone brighter than me. I feel like a complete moron after trying to fix this for the last week and having no luck whatsoever. 

I recently switched providers (to FIOS from Comcast) and the internet was working fine. For the first 7-8 days, I had no issues and then they began. The problem is that my computer at some point stops allowing new internet connections - what I mean is, I will be talking on Skype or on Steam playing a game with friends and I have fine connection. I have no problems with connectivity in the voice call or in game. However, usually after a period of time (20-30-or more minutes), if I try to use my Chrome browser or surf in any other browser, it simply continually tries to connect to server but cannot access the internet. Skype continues working, I can chat to people on Steam (but the STEAM in-app store which also uses a browser does not work). At the same time, my laptop, my phone and other devices are able to normally access the internet in my house. So to summarize: On-going connections like VOIP or online-gaming do not lose internet connectivity and my computer shows that I am connected. However, browsing (even trying to connect to the router directly using the IP will not work).

To try and solve this, I asked Verizon to replace the modem which they did. This fixed the issue AGAIN for one week. Really, I had no issues and thought I was home free. Then this week it started again. Sometimes (maybe 35% of the time), I turn on my computer and cannot access the internet. Restarting usually fixes the problem and then I can use everything for 30-60minutes until the internet on my PC again craps out. I have tried looking at DNS (doing ipconfig/flushdns) - downloading some other internet clearing programs that tried to revert settings and clear cache,temp internet etc) and doing a bunch of other random things. However, nothing seems to help. I have also plugged in my own old router and tried to hardwire my computer through that. Yet, the same issue happens.

I am confused as to why A) the internet works for a period of time for all programs B) Parts of the internet like on-going skype calls or on-going gaming connections continue working (HOWEVER, if I get off the skype call and then try to activate a new one --- or if I turn on my computer and the browser is not working, Skype will not connect either) - So this is not a Skype works all the time - it too is restricted if an on-going call is not working.

It seems like outside of surfing the net, if my internet connection is established it remains working. A TrendMicro online virus scan worked the entire 2 hours without disconnecting -- so it again shows that it likely does not affect on-going connections).  

When I am having these connectivity issues, I am unable to directly access either the Verizon router or my d-link router (when I had tried that) - using the IP Codes 192.168.x.x. So, it is like my computer shuts down to new connections altogether. Restarting the router does not really do the trick - I think it may have once, but usually I have to restart my entire computer.

I am running Windows 8.1 and can provide any other information as necessary.  

I have also used MalWarebytes, panda antivirus, Trendmicro and other scans and have come up empty handed. I am getting desperate and have no idea what to do. Any advice?

Edited by divashenko, 07 October 2014 - 01:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:56 PM

You need to simplify it and rule things out.

If I were in your shoes when using the computer I would have two CMD windows running a constant ping to two things:

Window 1: ping -t 8.8.8.8

Window 2: ping -t www.google.com

If during this issue occurs while you were already running those constant pings, revert to Window1 FIRST. Is it still replying? If yes, then you still have Internet. During that time is Window2 still replying? If no, I am leaning towards DNS but never seen it just crap out like that.

I have other ideas but start there. The hardest issues are easily solved if you break it up in chunks and start ruling things out. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#3 divashenko

divashenko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hey,

Thank you for your reply. I didn't know I could run constant pings, so I can do that. I would like to note that even when my internet cuts out for browsing, I can still ping www.google.com and it is normal. There are no issues with pinging when these issues manifest themselves. I have not tried window 1 before -- I can check. Like I said, I definitely still have internet when this problem is happening - I am still talking on Skype and playing online so I did not lose internet - just lost the ability to have new connections. It doesn't make sense to me either ;( 

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

Well then you answered your own question. If you can still do things that need to validate a name to an IP: that is DNS so that is out. If you can still ping www.google.com and GET REPLIES then that is out. I am leaning towards the computer itself. Well in that case I would either try using another computer and see if the problem occurs (I am leaning towards no). Create a new profile on the Windows computer, basically this is where it might get complicated. But based on what you said I am leaning toward ISP NOT being the issue.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 October 2014 - 07:27 PM.
removed unnecessary quote

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#5 divashenko

divashenko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

The internet continues to work on my phone and on my tablet. I think it is definitely an issue with my computer. But I don't want to create a new username. Is there no way to troubleshoot the computer itself? I don't know what the issue could be -- I agree its likely not an ISP thing. I clearly still have some connections active that are working, while others are completed prevented. My main question is what can I do for next steps?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 October 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#6 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

It's not about what you don't want to do, it's about what you HAVE TO do to resolve the issue. Again and I won't be replying to this again: either:
A. Make a new profile and see if i the issue follows it:
or/and
B. Scan the PC with Malwarebytes in Safe Mode

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 October 2014 - 07:28 PM.

***Note***

#7 divashenko

divashenko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

You won't answer again? Oh my.

I have tried New accounts and I have 4 on my pc and I ran all virus scans in safe mode. This problem might be beyond your skill set as it's clearly beyond mine. I just was trying to convey in my prior message that I've tried the basics already...

Edited by divashenko, 07 October 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#8 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

..This problem might be beyond your skill set...

You assume a lot. Good luck to you.

***Note***

#9 divashenko

divashenko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

..This problem might be beyond your skill set...

You assume a lot. Good luck to you.

I don't need to assume, I would just rather get help from people who are helpful and not a Di*k. Your advice "Run malware bytes in safemode" == not exactly rocket science == and I already noted that I had completed that step. 

Edited by divashenko, 08 October 2014 - 11:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users