Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new router with USB port?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maxell505

maxell505

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi everyone. I am looking to buy a new router and out of the two I have selected, both have USB ports. I would like to connect my printer to the usb port on the router so I can print wirelessly because my printer does not have wifi support. Right now I have my printer hooked up to my desktop computer(does not have wifi support). My computer is hard wired to my router via an ethernet cable as this is how it has internet access. Whenever I would like to print something from my laptop, I have to take the usb cable that is connected to the desktop (the printer's USB cable that connects to the desktop) out and I have to plug it into my laptop and than I have to print. I was wondering  that once I get the router with a USB port and I connect the printer to the USB port in the router, will I still be able to print using my desktop. Of course I will be able to print from my laptop, but since my desktop does not have wifi, will I still be able to print using that. 

Thank you.

P.S: Here are the routers I have selected:

Netgear Nighthawk r7000:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/NetGear-Nighthawk-AC1900-Smart-Wi-Fi-Router/33833403

Netgear r6250: http://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-R6250-Wireless-Dual-Band-AC-Router/23993726

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

Me personally I never did the method of connecting the USB directly to the router. However I looked it up just on your Netgear and found this (see pasted below). Personally IMHO it's easier when a printer that is not networkable (WIFI or hardwired via CAT5/Ethernet) to connect it to a computer and share it out. 

But from what I read to do what you described here is the instructions and link I found it on:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22757/~/r6250-faqs

Does R6250 have USB 3.0 port?
There is a USB port on the back side of R6250; it's a USB 3.0 port. You could use the USB port to connect your USB drive, HD, or Ready SHARE printer. The USB 3.0 read/write speed is 2-3 times faster than USB2.0 port.

Where can I find more info about the ReadySHARE features- USB Storage Access and Printer?
ReadySHARE Print lets you connect a USB printer to the router's USB port, and you could access the printer wired or wirelessly.

To set up ReadySHARE Print:

Step 1: Connect the USB printer to the router's USB port with a USB printer cable.
Step 2: Install the USB printer driver software on each computer that will share the printer. If you do not have the printer driver, contact the printer manufacturer to find and download the most recent printer driver software.
Step 3: On each computer that will share the printer, download and install the NETGEAR USB Control Center utility.
You MUST install this utility before you can use the ReadySHARE Print feature.
Note: The NETGEAR USB Control Center utility has a Mac version and a Windows version.
For more information on the ReadySHARE features, see www.netgear.com/readyshare.
Step 4: Follow the instructions in the utility to connect to the printer from your computer and print. If the printer is not in the "Available" state, select the printer from the list and click Connect.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#3 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:24 PM

Me personally I never did the method of connecting the USB directly to the router. However I looked it up just on your Netgear and found this (see pasted below). Personally IMHO it's easier when a printer that is not networkable (WIFI or hardwired via CAT5/Ethernet) to connect it to a computer and share it out. 

But from what I read to do what you described here is the instructions and link I found it on:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22757/~/r6250-faqs
Does R6250 have USB 3.0 port?
There is a USB port on the back side of R6250; it's a USB 3.0 port. You could use the USB port to connect your USB drive, HD, or Ready SHARE printer. The USB 3.0 read/write speed is 2-3 times faster than USB2.0 port.

Where can I find more info about the ReadySHARE features- USB Storage Access and Printer?
ReadySHARE Print lets you connect a USB printer to the router's USB port, and you could access the printer wired or wirelessly.

To set up ReadySHARE Print:

Step 1: Connect the USB printer to the router's USB port with a USB printer cable.
Step 2: Install the USB printer driver software on each computer that will share the printer. If you do not have the printer driver, contact the printer manufacturer to find and download the most recent printer driver software.
Step 3: On each computer that will share the printer, download and install the NETGEAR USB Control Center utility.
You MUST install this utility before you can use the ReadySHARE Print feature.
Note: The NETGEAR USB Control Center utility has a Mac version and a Windows version.
For more information on the ReadySHARE features, see www.netgear.com/readyshare.
Step 4: Follow the instructions in the utility to connect to the printer from your computer and print. If the printer is not in the "Available" state, select the printer from the list and click Connect.

OK so based on the information your provided it says you can print using the printer wired or wirelessly. So that means my desktop which does not have WiFi will still be able to print right?

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

Lets put it this way.

When one or more computers connect to the same network via the same router (wired or wireless) they are on the same network. Which means in theory yes, they can print to whatever printer resides on that network assuming it's configured properly. With connecting a printer to a router via USB is foreign to me but according to the info I found in a Google search it's very much possible. 

On a side note: you did mention in a previous post that you are running XP; that may/can be an issue with some things down the road. But networking in general, it will work. 

Does that clear it up?

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#5 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

Lets put it this way.

When one or more computers connect to the same network via the same router (wired or wireless) they are on the same network. Which means in theory yes, they can print to whatever printer resides on that network assuming it's configured properly. With connecting a printer to a router via USB is foreign to me but according to the info I found in a Google search it's very much possible. 

On a side note: you did mention in a previous post that you are running XP; that may/can be an issue with some things down the road. But networking in general, it will work. 

Does that clear it up?

Yes it does. What kind of problem will occur down the road?

#6 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

Lets put it this way.

Does that clear it up?

If I knew that I would be a millionaire for I can predict the lotto numbers. Just remember, XP is no longer supported. So as new printers and other items that require drivers, eventually certain things just will not work on XP. 

***Note***

#7 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:05 PM

Lets put it this way.

Does that clear it up?

If I knew that I would be a millionaire for I can predict the lotto numbers. Just remember, XP is no longer supported. So as new printers and other items that require drivers, eventually certain things just will not work on XP. 

Hahahaha OK well thank you so much for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users