Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen/Empty Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sakura_blades

sakura_blades

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

Three days ago my computer decided that it was randomly going to start shutting down all the programs I was running and restart.

It started with my internet browser, my games and then last Skype. When the system shut down and attempted to restart, it refused to load Windows, as if the HDD was no longer being found. The screen remained black and a single white, blinking cursor hung in the top left of my screen.

I managed to download a Boot Disk for Windows 7 and got it into my system. It took me 24 hours to figure out how to get the system to boot Windows again, since Restore and Repair options weren't doing anything. I had to issue commands to repair and rebuild my boot files from CMD.

Now my computer is booting Windows again, and I had thought that this meant the nightmare was over. However for the past 24 hours or more now I have been dealing with a Blue, Empty Desktop. There are no icons, no task bar and certainly no Start Button/Menu.

I am able to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and open up Task Manager, where I can see that explorer.exe is not running, and refuses to stay running too. I am able to launch programs from CMD however, so long as hey don't involve using Windows Explorer at all.

I have so far managed to run a scan for Viruses and Malware, which neither has detected anything on my system.

I have attempted to create a new profile, in hopes it was a profile bug: No luck

Safe Mode: Same results, no desktops, no access to Explorer.exe

Restarting: Creates a new temporary profile (it appears) and I lose any downloads that aren't installed from the previous session.

I have also attempted a restore and repair while having the empty desktop, sfc /scannow turns up nothing as well.

I have run chkdsk -r and still no change.

I have attempted to use msconfig to weed out some or all programs/systems to try to find a root cause, but even with everything unchecked the problem persists.

I have (backing up old file) replaced explorer.exe from another computer in the house to the affected one. (both running the same system)

I am out of ideas and pleading for any suggestions or help to get this machine running again.

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2014 - 08:41 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

DBAN, then reinstall Windows. (From an original Microsoft Windows DVD would be the safest bet).

Edited by SpywareDoc, 07 October 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#3 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

yes dban is a good program suggestion and reinstallation of windows which makes the whole thing more cleaner here is a copy of how to install windows

Here

#4 sakura_blades

sakura_blades
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

I considered a reinstall before, but the Disc I have to do that wanted Drivers for my computer. The problem with that, is I'm not sure what's on my computer that needs Drivers, where to find those or any of that.

It didn't seem like it was going to let me get around giving it Drivers to install with the reinstall, then find what's needed after replacing Windows.

I am also not sure I have a Disc to reinstall Windows with. I know the disc I have gives me the option, but I am not sure it'd do the job properly.

I ran another scan on my computer for Viruses, this time a Deep scan while I slept. My Anti-Virus managed to find 2 Trojans somewhere in my Win32 file, though I didn't catch the names of them before I had the system delete them. I'm not sure where they came from either, but it may have been a download I attempted the day or two before this occurred. I had hoped removing these, would've done something, but no change from what I can see here either. :(

I just ran through User files and deleted anything I could find inside any Temp folders, having seen something about viruses and malware liking to try to hide themselves in those folders.

Sadly no luck there either.

Edited by sakura_blades, 07 October 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#5 sakura_blades

sakura_blades
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

So I've managed to revive my desktop once again! And I've done it without having to reinstall windows or completely losing my mind.

I installed a program that allows me to shut down shell exentions one by one in an attempt to find out which was blocking explorer.exe from starting.

Since I knew there was nothing wrong with the file and it attempted to boot everytime I told it to through Task Manager this seemed like the best solution.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

I downloaded this program and started shutting down each and every program one at a time until I saw my Desktop spring back to life!

Turns out, when I disabled a file called SecureIconsProvider.dll my desktop could breathe again.

I'm not exactly sure why this file was stopping my desktop or where it came from exactly, though it does claim to be a Microsoft program, I am skeptical.

If anyone has any insight about this file, that'd be great! Otherwise I'm going to continue to do some homework about it on my own and will share what I have learned when I know more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users