Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound out through speakers, or in through microphone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ranaven

Ranaven

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

Hey guys.

I've searched everywhere and am now at my wit's end. I cannot solve this problem:

I recently moved house. Disassembled and reassembled my computer. I didn't have access to speakers at the new place so I didn't have any sound for a while. In the interim, my graphics card started giving me problems (I suspect something untoward happened to it on the flight) and I've been unable to have it repaired. I've switched to the onboard GPU that comes with the core i5. I've also upgraded to windows 8.1

However, having acquired a pair of speakers and plugged them in, I get no sound. Attempting to plug in a headset also gives no sound and the microphone doesn't work. Windows does detect the speakers being plugged into the panel, same for microphone. Volume levels are green and functioning. There is simply no sound reaching the speakers. My USB Snowball microphone, however, DOES work.

I have attempted to reinstall the realtek audio drivers on more than one occasion, to no avail. I can confirm that my sound used to work before I moved. I can also confirm that the speakers are working on another device.

The changes that have taken place are as follows:

a) Moved - reassembled PC in new casing - there is no front audio panel, and no front audio cables are connected to the mother board.

B) Installed TP Link WN723N mini wireless USB adaptor (windows insists on using the Realtek RTL81888EU driver for this as the TP Link drivers have issues)

c) Lost graphics card (ATI Radeon HD6870) and shifted to onboard Intel HD Graphics

d) Upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1

My system specs are as follows:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 7119 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics, -1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 66209 MB, Free - 22877 MB; D: Total - 410377 MB, Free - 83220 MB;
Motherboard: ASRock, Z77 Pro3
Antivirus: Windows Defender

Please help!

(Here's a screenshot showing levels green, the realtek driver version, and the device manager: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Ranaven/SoundCardProject_zps2a84e23d.png)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

Hello, and Welcome

I don't know if your Realtek HD Manager in Control Panel is different but see if changing some of the settings there helps. Check out this video

#3 Ranaven

Ranaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

Hi John, thanks for the welcome.

Unfortunately, the latest Realtek HD manager doesn't have that folder icon at all, and I've been unable to find an older version that comes unbundled from the driver (or even an older version period).

Edited by Ranaven, 07 October 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

Check to see if the Windows Audio Service is enabled. Did you download the Realtek drivers from Realtek's site?

#5 Ranaven

Ranaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

It's running, and yes I did. Drivers are proving impossible to download from Asrock's site though.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

I was able to download the audio driver from Asrock's site. I can upload it to Dropbox and provide a link if you want it. But, it will take awhile.

#7 Ranaven

Ranaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

Thanks, John, that would be awesome. I'm presently finishing downloading Linux mint so I can run it live from USB to see if sound works or whether it's a hardware problem.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Using Mint to see if the sound card is defective was a good idea. I opened up the zip file that I downloaded from Arock's site and in that was only folders called Vista even though the description on their website said it was good for 8 and 8.1. Anyway, here is the Dropbox link. Hope it works for you.

#9 Ranaven

Ranaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

Thanks John - unfortunately, it's all silent on the Linux front too. Defective hardware, almost certainly :(

I suppose I'll try hooking up a front panel and see if I can get audio through there (skeptical - back panel detection, at least, works fine, I doubt it's a port problem). If not then it's probably going to have to get a dedicated soundcard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users