Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extending wireless range with a signal booster

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 glitterstorm

glitterstorm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:08 AM

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about purchasing one of these WiFi booster kits: http://www.virginmediaaccessories.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Netgear

I currently live in a basement flat with the wireless hub located in an alcove (not ideal, but this is where our telephone socket is). There's one room on the first floor which has very poor signal. I've been a Virgin Media customer for years, and never had much of an issue in that room until about a year ago, but my service provider maintain they can't do anything about it. As our flat is really small, it will be difficult to pull the router out of the alcove and there will probably be an unsightly tangle of wires, so thought it would be less hassle to purchase a WiFi booster kit from Virgin. However, after being passed around their customer services/technical support team, no one can actually offer me any advice on which one I should get!

The internet usage in our household isn't very high. We have one desktop PC (connected to the superhub with an ethernet cable), and then a laptop (connected by WiFi, currently in the bedroom which is a blindspot) and a couple of smart phones.

Is anyone able to provide some advice on which one I should purchase? I'm assuming the more expensive ones offer a better signal, but not sure if this will be necessary in my house given that we are likely to only have one laptop and a couple of phones connected to our WiFi at any given time.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

For some reason I dislike the powerline option for signal boosters. Try to get your superhub up as high as you can and nothing says you have to buy from them. Any signal booster will work. I use old routers with a different firmware but I get them from people so lol. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 glitterstorm

glitterstorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:40 AM

Thank you for your reply! That's a good point, it might be better to buy from Amazon or somewhere else with a bigger range and better returns policy. I've found the following: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+signal+booster

Any recommendations for those you've used or look suitable?

I will try to raise the superhub a bit higher, but unfortunately as it's a basement flat, the ceiling is very low as it is. It's just frustrating that the telephone wire is probably located in the worst place for maximising wireless range!

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

The main issue I have with power line ones is the lack of antenna size. So if you find one that has nice antenna I'd give it a go. 

Basement flat - still try to get it nice and high. you can get a bit longer phone cord, something under 15 would be just fine. That should let ya get it nice and high. like on a book shelf.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users