Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice Need on System and Cooling for First Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bf825

bf825

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:32 AM

So I've made the decision to move from console to PC and currently I am looking at getting one from Hardwired PC's as they are an Australian company my friend has suggested and living in Sydney I wouldn't need to worry about shipping or anything like that.

My budget is around about $2000 AUS dollars for the actual PC not including peripherals (of which i need a keyboard and mouse, and a monitor). I'd use this PC for 3d rendering and gaming meaning that I'd probably be using 95% of my CPU and GPU at times. The custom build I have been thinking about on HardWired PC is their Reaper Junior model and their are a couple questions I've got and I'd really if someone could answer them for me. I'll list the specs, then the questions.

Specs:

Case = Corsair 300r with window

Case Fans = Corsair Airflow Series - SP120 High Performance 

CPU Fan = Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Fan Controller = BitFenix Recon Touchscreen fan controller

CPU = Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz Quad Core LGA1150

Motherboard = Asus Z97-K Socket 1150

Memory = Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866Mhz DDDR3

GPU = Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5

Hard Drive = Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue

Power Supply = Corsair RM750 750W Silent 80 Plus Gold Efficiency

Optical Drive = LG Blue Ray Combo Drive

Audio = Onboard Audio

Wireless Network Card = TP Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless PCIE Adaptor

Operating System = Windows 8.1 64bit

Monitor = Asus VE248H 24 Inch Widescreen Full HD 2ms LED

Total cost = $2429
I am aware that this is over my original budget however, i am happy with this build as it fulfils everything i want and considering that minus the monitor and possibly the fan controller its only about $200 over.

Questions:

1. The case used by HardWired PC (Corsair 300r) only has two fans - one intake and one rear exhaust. Due to this I have chosen to opt for the SP120 High Performance fans. For this reason I have chosen to get a Fan Controller just so that I can turn down the fan rpm and reduce noise during less demanding tasks. Are these ridiculously noisy and are the necessary, or are the stock fans sufficient for cooling my system?

2. Should I get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cpu fan or is it unnecessary or insufficient?

3. Do I need to (or should I) spend more money on my motherboard or is it good enough as it stands> If so what motherboard should I get?

4. Is the Hard Drive I have chosen a good choice or should I opt for a different one?

5. Any comments on the Wireless network card. I haven't found too much information on it

6. Any thoughts on the monitor, Good or Bad?

So thats it, any help is appreciated as I'm completely new to this and for any other people living in Australia other recommendations for other PC companies in Australia are welcome as well. I Think I've covered everything.Feel free to ask me any more questions. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:44 AM

G'day mate, the build is certainly all compatible although the only criticism is the power supply as 750W is an overkill, unless you plan to add a 2nd graphics card, a 650W would be more then sufficient. 

1. The SP120 fans are not that super loud but the stock fans inside the case should be sufficient. 

2. Well, if you plan to overclock then yes but during the summer, it will certainly become handy during full load like when you are rendering or gaming. 

3. The motherboard is good as it is, paying more will just only get you more bells and whistles. 

4. Nothing wrong with the hard drive to be honest.

5. I personally like TP-Link products as they are very well priced while performing exceptionally well.

6. Asus makes some awesome monitor but the one you have chosen is pretty ordinary, not much i can say about it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 bf825

bf825
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:30 PM

G'day mate, the build is certainly all compatible although the only criticism is the power supply as 750W is an overkill, unless you plan to add a 2nd graphics card, a 650W would be more then sufficient. 

1. The SP120 fans are not that super loud but the stock fans inside the case should be sufficient. 

2. Well, if you plan to overclock then yes but during the summer, it will certainly become handy during full load like when you are rendering or gaming. 

3. The motherboard is good as it is, paying more will just only get you more bells and whistles. 

4. Nothing wrong with the hard drive to be honest.

5. I personally like TP-Link products as they are very well priced while performing exceptionally well.

6. Asus makes some awesome monitor but the one you have chosen is pretty ordinary, not much i can say about it.

Thanks for the help killerx525,

Your advice is very helpful.

are the sp120 quiet edition fans a compromise, in terms of airflow, in comparison to the stock fans. Cause if they're still better then I might opt for them as they'd be better than the sock fans but quieter than the performance series

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:32 AM

The airflow for the SP120 Quiet Edition is not to bad although considering the fan was designed for heatsinks and radiators, but they should be similar in airflow when compared to the stock fans. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users