Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what all the things needed to back up before formatting the OS?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 prsna

prsna

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:11 AM

Hello everyone!

I have a three year old Hp pavilion dm4 with Windows 7 running on it.

Now I want to format my computer and install linux on it. There are some virus in my PC, so I planned to backup my data's using google drive and skydrive(hotmail).

I know its a time consuming process, but I don't want to infect my external hard disk.

I want to know in case if I needed to use the windows OS back do I have to copy any system files?

Also if I format the system I may lose the drivers. Does Linux OS automatically takes care of the drivers or do I have to back up before formatting?

I tried few antivirus software to clean, but still there are few!(Its not helping in my case) 

In general what all the things needed to back up before formatting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:35 AM

well drivers can't be backed up that way and some also have software related to them as well you would need to download the drivers from the manufacture if you wanted to reinstall windows.

you would also need to consider the fact that pre installed software would also be wiped and you would need the relevant cd's or executable and software licence agreement numbers to put the software back on.

no Linux will not store your drivers and will format and over right windows unless you chose the option to run along side windows the advantage as well with Linux is you can run it from a liv cd.

you would also need to make note of your windows licence number so if you reinstalled at a later date you would have the number on the licence sticker always back this up.

also you would been the installation disc oem copy of windows included with your version of windows in order to put windows back on. 

back up all photos, music, media ECT though the cloud as you did not want to do this any other way.

the last thing I would say is use wine to install you applications you used to run on windows to now run on Linux.

Good Luck

#3 prsna

prsna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

ICT_Tech - Thanks a lot!  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users