Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open Microsoft Works Files in Microsoft Word 2013

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 riley45

riley45

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

I recently purchased an ASUS Windows 8.1 64 bit computer.  I transferred my Microsoft Works Version 8.0 word processor and spreadsheet files from my old computer onto the new computer.  I just purchased the Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student Edition (64 bit version) from an online vendor and installed the software onto my new computer. 

I have no problems opening my Works spreadsheet files in Excel.  However, when I attempt to open a Works word processor file in Word, I get gibberish.  I did some research online and found out that there is a Microsoft tool called Works 6-9 Converter which allows one to open Works files in Word.

I downloaded the Works 6-9 Converter tool from the Microsoft Support website and installed it on my PC.  However, when I subsequently attempted to open a Works word processor file in Word, a dialog box appeared with the error message "Word cannot start the converter Wks9Pxy.cnv" and the file did not open properly (i.e., I got gibberish).

I did a little more research online and found out that uninstalling the Works 6-9 Converter, then downloading and installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package, and finally reinstalling the Works 6-9 Converter may correct this problem.  I followed these steps, but unfortunately when I attempt to open a Works word processor file in Word, I get the same error message and the file does not open properly. 

If someone can give me advice on a successful way to open Works spreadsheet files in Word 2013, I would greatly appreciate it.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315757

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/i-cant-open-any-of-my-microsoft-works-documents/c242b6da-3292-4d7d-8689-9a554ecb7171

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001017.htm

Reboot after any changes you make.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#3 riley45

riley45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thank you for sending me these links.  Unfortunately, none of them worked for me.

The first link is the same one that I consulted before my post to this forum.  Per the instructions, I downloaded the Works 6-9 Converter tool and then rebooted my machine, but when I subsequently attempt to open a Works word processor file in Word, a dialog box appears with the error message "Word cannot start the converter Wks9Pxy.cnv" and the file does not open properly (i.e., I get gibberish).

The second link is a blog where people mention their problems with opening Works documents in Word.  One of the bloggers mentions the same site as your first link.  Another blogger mentions a site where a converter for much older versions of Works (Works 3, 4, and 5) is available for download.  I actually tried to install this latter converter on my PC, but I got the error message that "this app can't run on your PC".

The third link discusses a converter for Works 6.0 documents. I was able to install this converter on my machine, but I was still unable to open my Works 8.0 files in Word.

If you are aware of another potential solution for my problem, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Thank you again for your help so far.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,817 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

This is kind of a kludge but try the following. Download the Portable Version of Libre Office or find somebody that has it installed on their computer. When double clicking the portable  installer, let it extract to a folder on  your desktop. Open Writer and select the WPS file. See if it opens. If it does, you can save the file as a .doc file in Libre Office and then open it in Word.

13641096027742877.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users