Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I would like to know if Panada Free Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 merebear

merebear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Is Panada Free Antivirus is good one to use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

These guys do pretty good independent tests. You can see how most of the solutions compare against each other.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

Panda Security was founded in 1990 and they one of the early pioneers in anti-virus software. They are among the top 5 largest vendors and in 2009 were the first to introduce free cloud-based antivirus.

Panda Cloud Antivirus introduces radically new protection model with lightweight thin-client agent and real-time scanning-from-the-cloud...With Panda Cloud Antivirus, Panda Security is introducing a new protection model that utilizes a thin-client agent and server architecture which processes and blocks malware more efficiently than locally installed signature-based products. By moving the entire malware scanning and determination process to the cloud and applying non-intrusive interception techniques on the client architecture, Panda Cloud Antivirus is able to provide advanced protection against new and unknown viruses with a lightweight thin-client agent that barely consumes any PC resources.

Panda Cloud Antivirus: The First Free Cloud-Based Antivirus, April 29, 2009
Introduction to Panda Cloud Antivirus
Panda Research Blog: Arguments against cloud-based antivirus

Panda Cloud Antivirus Free has since changed their product name to Panda Free Antivirus
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 AlmaBallard

AlmaBallard

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:10 AM

My brother was using Free Panda anti-virus for a year now and he told me that Panda is good at blocking malware at launch. It is also excellent in malicious URL blocking. Panda anti-virus protects against malicious downloads. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:09 AM

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used.

Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.

#6 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

After trying Panda free I found that it was like it said, very lightweight and didn't slow my PC or browsing a real noticeable amount. The interface is kind of janky and seemed like a rip-off of Windows8's theme. A turn off on the marketing side, during download they even advertise a pc clean up service - third party I'm seemed like. It is constantly connecting to the internet and I guess this is something unavoidable since it does it's work in the "cloud". I just don't like all my browsing history ending up there though. I didn't notice any false readings which it's known for - probably due to the fact I only used it for a short period of time.

Also tried Bitdefender free, also advertised as lightweight and minimum on the resources. I found the exact opposite to be the case. It slowed things up noticeably and getting responces from the software itself lagged even. In the same respect Panda also was slow to respond sometimes, but not as much. I can't remember for sure, but I think it did have a browser bar.

I feel that Microsoft Security essentials works seamlessly with my system and coupled with malware bytes, cc cleaner, SAS(even though it's on my suspiscious behavior radar) and Spyware blaster I'm alright.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

...during download they even advertise a pc clean up service - third party I'm seemed like.

That's not good.

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.
Please read: Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

#8 kaylagarcia

kaylagarcia

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:07 AM

I never used panada antivirus on my computer but my freind installed panada antivirus and he told it is good and inexpensive software for all windows including window 7, window 8 , window vista , window xp and many more.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:06 AM

I never used Panda either but have always heard good reports about it until the above report about it advertising a third-party PC clean up service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users