Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Travelstar 7K1000 vs Seagate ST1000LM014 (2.5" Drives)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:38 PM

I was considering upgrading a hard drive in a HP ENVY, 16GB RAM, I7 4th gen processor running Windows 8.1.  Either of these two drives would blow away the existing drive in my machine.  Everyone seems "hot" on the Seagate SSHD ST1000LM014 which is a 5,400 RPM 1TB drive that benefits considerably from 8GB of NAND solid state memory that learns what you do most often and stores this data in the NAND.  On repetitive tasks it apparently dramatically reduces boot time and opening commonly used applications.  But once you fill it up and run out of the solid state memory its performance seems typical to other 5,400 RPM drives.  Windows 8.1 boots so fast compared older versions there's not too much to save.

On the other hand there is the older Travelstar 7K1000 1TB drive that came out earlier last year.  It boasts a 7,200 RPM drive that always spins faster that puts it at a nice advantage when the the Seagate is runnning on it's 5,400 RPM HD.

Four years ago I bought a laptop that came with a 7,200 RPM drive.  The drive was noticeably faster than the 5,400 RPM drives at that time.  I appreciated that every day I used that machine and never regretted the extra bucks for the faster drive.  Over 4 years that's a lot of time saved.

So is performance of the SSHD Seagate really going to beat the 7,200 Travelstar on a day to day basis for the average home user.  I would expect the Travelerstar to be considerably faster than the Seagate for things like backing up your HD, virus and malware scans but repetitive tasks put the nod to the Seagate.  I do run some Photoshop like software that uses lots of resources but this is just a hobby and not done daily.

I would love to hear some feedback from some of you that have way more knowledge than I do.  Right now I am leaning toward the Travelerstar and am not sure if I am making a mistake I will regret.  Your opinions are respectfully appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 671 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

For that quality of a laptop, I'd put a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB in it.

#3 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

SpywareDoc,

I didn't realize that the solid state drives were now available 1TB for $500.  I just noticed this drive a few days ago when I was checking the performance of the drives I was considering in post #1.  Looks like the 840 EVO blows away conventional drives to the tune of 5+ times the speed.

But are they reliable today?  They were known for being limited in the number of writes to a memory location so the drives always wrote data to new locations so that the entire drive's memory locations would have approximately the same number of writes maximizing the life of the drive.

So do you know how reliable the solid states drives today?  Are they expected to last 5+ years of everyday business use?  I never had a conventional drive fail in 20 or so years until just recently.  A few years ago solid states were expected to have a limited life.

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

Re reliability...judge for yourself.

SSDs have no moving parts, while hard drives have moving parts which often are the source/indicator of hard drive problems.

Typical warranty period for a hard drive is 3 years...typical SSD warranty is 3-5 years from what I see.

Louis

#5 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

Thanks Louis,

Looks like the SSD technology has improved significantly.  Shock takes out a lot of HD's that would never phase the SSD.  Never a problem with previous laptops but the HP ENVY 17" are quite heavy and the rugged aluminum cases are quite slippery.  So the SSD would be a great solution to speed and ability to take shock.  That $500 expenditure though may be beyond my resources right now.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

Most of us who have SSDs...use them primarily as boot drives.

When the price comes down more to ordinary consumer level...we will then use them for storage also.  Until then, 3TB hard drives still have a market and reflect a price-point that we all can live with.  These 3TB drives carry no more risk than their predecessors did when it comes to malperformance/failure and might possibly be better than their ancestors.

Louis

#7 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

Well the price came down another 20%, $400 now for a Samsung 1TB EVO at New Egg or Amazon.  The choice between these two was easy...New Egg allows no returns period but doesn't charge tax for my state.  Amazon is the winner with a 90 day return policy on this SSD for any reason, including dissatisfaction through malfunctions.  I will gladly pay the tax and get the 90 day return policy.  Interesting but Amazon's return policy on computers is 30 days so the SSD's must be reliable.  Before ordering I always verify the current return policies.  I like to do it over the phone to make sure I am getting the most current return policy.  Let me express I have absolutely no affiliation with Amazon but thought this was very important information for potential buyers.

So for $800 + tax I know have two Samsung 1TB 840 EVO's for each of my ENVY's.  I will take my time installing them.  I'm not sure if I would be better transfering the data from an Acronis backup or starting from scratch.  I guessing the Acronis method would require a lot less work.  Advice and suggestions most welcome here, please.

I'd especially would like to thank Spywaredoc for waking me up on how close the pricing had gotten between a far superior SSD's and conventional HDD's.  The additional price reduction of $100 did it for me!

I would also like to thank hamlus for his excellent suggestions throughout the years as I have made much use of his help many times.

Thanks to all the excellent contributors to this forum who generously have taken the time to help others with their knowledge.

Thanks! Randy

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

:thumbup2: ...on behalf of all forum members, you are welcome :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

#9 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

Samsung ITB 840 EVO SSD price drop.  Oct 9th was $500, right now at Amazon for $350.  Not sure if this is a black Friday deal or what.  Thought there might be some interest here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users