Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating bootable XP Flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

I have searched the net for instructions on creating an XP bootable flash drive but not understanding the instructions, I need XP Pro SP2, I have the discs but nor sure I can create this on my win7 machine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

What kind of disks are these. Are they OEM recovery disks. Do you want to do a USB boot because the CD/DVD drive is bad or there is not one?

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

I have both retail and OEM discs and yes becuase this old Touchscreen pc is not recognizing the USB DVD but has no problem opening files on a flash drive, I want to reload the OS from the flash drive

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

First you will need to create an iso file. Download Imgburn and install. Opt out of any optional programs it asks to install. Use a slow read speed. Once you have created the iso, download Rufus and run it. Opt out of any update check. Click iso image in the lower dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file you created. Click start. Any data on the USB flash drive will be erased. Attach the flash drive to the computer and boot. You may have to make USB the first boot device in BIOS or tap the boot menu key at boot and select the USB flash drive.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

On my win7 machine how do I create an ISO file from the XP disk?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

You have to download Imgburn and install it on the Windows 7 computer. Then create an iso from the XP CD by reading it in an optical drive using Imgburn according to the guide I linked to. Does the Windows 7 computer have a CD/DVD drive?

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

Yes, will try, get back to you, thanks!

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

First you will need to create an iso file. Download Imgburn and install. Opt out of any optional programs it asks to install. Use a slow read speed. Once you have created the iso, download Rufus and run it. Opt out of any update check. Click iso image in the lower dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file you created.

Rufus does not work? Please see screenshot of Rufus here?

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/mikehende/Untitled_zps9372e8f1.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

I am not sure why that is. Another option is the following. You still have the iso file you made.

Download Unetbootin. Run it and select iso image in the lower part of the window. Make sure you have the correct flash drive letter then press okay.

Does the Flash key boot?

Edit: Please stop. I found this page and it says Unetbootin cannot create a bootable XP USB key. Rufus needs an older version and the OS must be 32bit which I believe your XP iso is.

Edit Edit: Use this version of Rufus instead. It should work for XP.

Note: If the older version of Rufus does not work for you, follow the steps here. It will give you a Grub menu at boot with two lines.

• The first is to select the startup of the installation procedure
  • The second line will be for the rest of the installation and the first boot of Windows XP

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 October 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

Clicking on the word "this" only redirects me back to this page and not whatever you intend to link me to?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

Sorry about that. Go to the Rufus page and select the Older Versions link. On that page select v1.20 or older.

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

None of those older versions work. I am thinking of trying this here?

http://www.poweriso.com/tutorials/how-to-make-winxp-bootable-usb-drive.htm

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

Sorry those did not work for you. I believe the link you provided should work. Poweriso is paid software. I do not know if the trial version will allow you to do this though. If it does not, try the link I posted that uses WinSetupFromUSB. Good Luck

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:51 AM

I downloaded the WinSetupFromUSB but the software does not run so I am trying poweriso method but is is asking for the location of the XP files which is on the CD in the DVD drive and when I select it, as the screenshot shows I am seeing a few different folders and don't know which one to select? I am thinking every folder on the CD has to be included? I have the iso image file from yesterday but looks like bartpe is asking to create the xp iso and not copy it, any ideas please?

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/mikehende/Untitled_zps324b00e5.png

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

I think you only have to select the Drive that the Windows files are located. Looking at the image, it seems you only have to press the build button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users