Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAN working but no wifi

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maxell505

maxell505

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hi everyone. I have a Windows XP machine and it is directly connected to my router by ethernet. My phone and my laptop are connected using the home wifi that the same router provides. Just an hour ago, my phone or my laptop are not able to find my router and are completely disconnected from the internet. I have tried resetting my router and taking the power cable out for 10 seconds but nothing has happened. My Windows XP machine that is directly connected to my router is connecting to the internet as usual. What can I do to fix the problem with my laptop and phone not being able to connect?

P.S: My Windows XP machine does not have wifi. That is why I have to connect it using an ethernet cable. 

Edited by maxell505, 06 October 2014 - 05:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:16 PM

I have a Linksys router. It is a Wireless-G Router with "speed booster".

Model Number: WRT54GS2

Here are the specs for my laptop:

Intel i5 Sandy Bridge Processor

6 GB RAM

Intel integrated wifi card.

I also have a Google Nexus 5 that is not able to connect via wifi.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:37 PM

If both phone and computer stopped detecting the wireless, I would have to assume it is router related. After you reset the router, all settings would have to be done again unless you had a backup of your settings which Linksys allows you to do. When you are in the router settings, is SSID broadcast enabled? Did you set the security again as WPA2 with PSK? If SSID broadcast is enabled and your phone and computer do not detect the router, I would say the wirless on the router has failed. You may want to try changing the channel that the router is broadcasting on and see if it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users