Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Triple boot problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PhilDY6

PhilDY6

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hello all,

I have an old 160gb HD with a dual boot of Win7(C:) and  XP (D:)  on it, "My Documents" is on a 500gb HD (F:). I have a new 1TB disc. In "My Documents" I have a copy of my Win7 disc installation files as a back-up. I couldn't be bothered to find the disc out so I installed from the hard drive  :nono:  It all went fine until I decided to disconnect my 160gb drive and boot from the 1TB (G:) drive, I got a message saying that there was a missing DLL file. <windows root> \system 32\ HAL dll I think it was.

Is there any way to make it boot from this drive and re-assign it as C:

I want to keep the 160GB drive as an emergency back up in case of problems.

Cheers

Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

It sounds a bit complex but my impression is that you won't be able to boot the 1tb drive, as some data, such as the MBR, has been written to the 160 gig drive, thus the 1TB drive is dependent on it to boot.

If you're short of connections, swap the wires from your DVD to plug the 160 gigger back in, work out the proper boot order and see if the 1TB drive will boot.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

You can use EasyBCD...to edit/rearrange your boot files.  As long as you boot into any version of Windows and have a Win 7 install...you should be able to use EasyBCD.

Free Version, EasyBCD 

If you decide to try that, please read the instructions for the program before attempting anything.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users