Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UEFI and Legacy support.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ensyfer

Ensyfer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hi guys,

I was hoping one of you could give me some insight on this. Today the cable on the screen of my laptop came loose, so I put it back where it needed to be. After that, my hdd and usb boots came up, but I couldn't start Windows with any of them. I changed UEFI to Legacy support, and now it works fine. Are there any cons to Legacy support? I'm not sure since my laptop always booted with UEFI, but now it won't. I also wasn't getting a clear understand of what Legacy support is when I was reading about it. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

If this helps:
Lenovo G580
4 GB RAM
Windows 7
Intel Pentium CPU B980 2.40 GHz 64 Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

Legacy boot is how (until very recently) PC's have all booted.  With legacy mode, when you turn on the computer, the BIOS looks for a specific part of the disk (the Master Boot Record - or MBR, located at the very start of the disk) which contains some basic code to allow the computer to load the operating system.  UEFI mode requires the disk to be formatted in a different way (GPT partition scheme) and instead of looking for the MBR, it looks for a special partition on the disk, called the EFI Partition, which is usually around 100mb in size and contains the files required to start loading the operating system.

If you go into "Disk Management" (right click Start button and choose "Computer Management" and choose Disk Management under Storage) then you will be able to see if your disk contains an EFI partition.

My current PC (Windows 8.1) is using UEFI/GPT and this is how disk management looks on mine.  I've highlighted in Red the EFI partition...

qHbAtJu.png

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users