Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card GT640 problems.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tobberz

tobberz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

Ever since I got the card about a year and a half ago, it has been having a problem.

When I turn the computer on, with the cable in the Graphics card cable slot, the screen turns on and just says no signal.

However when I remove the cable from the graphics card and put it in the inbuilt Intel graphics slot, the display works fine.

1 in 100 times, the graphics card works and everything is fine.

So the problem is that the graphics card doesn't emit a signal.

Card: GT640

Any ideas on how I can fix? It could be a power supply problem... but it is quite a low consumption card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

Silly question but...

Have you checked that the driver is up to date?

Have you disabled the Intel graphics in the device manager?

Have you booted in VGA mode through the 640?

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Re-seat the video card a few times to clear and debris or dust that may be causing an issue. You could also try another pci-e slot if you have more than 1 on the board. It is possible there is a power supply issue, or there may just be an issue with the card. If you have a different known working card, I would recommend testing that known good card in the same slot your 640 is not working in.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 tobberz

tobberz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:49 AM

So I disabled Intel graphics (which I have done as a possible method on previous occasions, but I need it when the card doesn't work), and then I rebooted. Happily it rebooted into the Graphics Card, so I thought.... it was fixed.

But when I booted up this morning, it refused the card and booted into Intel anyway. After numerous re-enablings and enablings of Intel graphics, the card still doesn't work.

I have also tried the card in different slots, and removed any dust from the slots, but the result is the same.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

My best guess at the moment is you have a bad video card or bad psu. It is possible the issue is the motherboard but so far we don't know. I would personally try a new psu first (just my gut feeling on this one). Make sure your power supply is big enough to power the card in the first place. Since you mention you have had issues since day 1 it would be reasonable to believe either you received a bad video card or the power supply has an issue.

The recommeneded wattage for that card is 300-350 watts depending on which version you have: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt640/specifications

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users