Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing WIN7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:24 PM

HI,I Heres my problem i am about to install WIN7  in my other E521,but ran into minor glitch that i did not run into with the E521 it is whether to format or not and this a new SEAGATE SSHD HDD 1TB,WHAT would be your procedure to accomplish this do i not believe i had this problem with other E521,thanks 

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2014 - 01:41 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

The Windows 7 disk contains formatting/partitioning tools.  If you are asking whether you need to format the hard drive before attempting to install Windows....there has never been a need to do that, as long as you have a genuine Windows CD/DVD.

The process goes thus...create partition, format partition, install Windows on partition.  The Win 7 disk does all this.

The above applies to systems that are built by user...OEM systems (Dell, Lenovo, Acer, etc.) play by the unique rules designed by that specific manuafacturer....unless you are using a Genuine Windows disk on the OEM system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Pls tell us at what point you're being asked to format.

Normal procedure is to boot up from your Win 7 media.

Once you get to the point of it asking you where you want to install the system, you hit advanced settings and delete the whole thing (if possible) The you hit "NEW" on the right hand side.

That will create a 100 meg partition for the MBR and the rest will be for your system.

Select the large partition where you will be installing, hit Format and when it's done, hit "Next".

All is well in Paradise.

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

HI,Well this where i am at installing WIN7,all i am getting right now is the following GSPIRMCHPXFREO_EN_dvdUDF(e:) with about 3GB of space used up.

I have a feeling the disk i got was for a production computer it will not recognize the SEAGATE SSHD HDD in computer mangament.

It is also telling me that is not compatible with PC and then it tells me to reboot PC and follow the prompts i.e. use advanced settings.

When installed WIN7  on this PC i do not believe i had to do all of this,like what was said above put DVD player and let disk do most the work.

Would the fact i still have the HDD with WINXP on it be causing my problem as somebody suggested to unplugged WINXP when it came time to install WIN7 ANY IDEAS WHY THIS IS HAPPENING would be appreciated,thanks

There was a UDF at the end the string of letters starting with GSP.

Edited by LOVEMYPC, 07 October 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

HI,Well guys i cheated and went to M/S and found procedure on how to install WIN7 which worked and now all i need to do is go thru the maze of tweaking it,but now the E521 i am on right now i go into setup and i show both HDD'S but can not access the WINXP HDD.

On the other E521 all i get is the WIN7 OS,i go into setup and shows the WIN7,but no WINXP which should be at the (o) data port i thought you could access both HDD'S by changing which HDD wanted to access in the BIOS what i am i missing here and as usual it will be something simple and stupid,thank you

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

Well as i said it is usually something simple and stupid you know not having the power plug connected it looked it was but was sitting there waiting for me to wipe the egg off my face.

Now i show both HDD'S in BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users