Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing Chassis Fan?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dexter686

dexter686

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:07 PM

A few weeks ago, the (8mm?) side case fan, which has an LED light in it to help light up the inside of the computer started to blink, like multiple times a second. I was hoping it was the fan's light going bad, but I replaced it with a new (different) fan, and the same thing is happening.

What is the issue? It appears it must be a motherboard issue, but the motherboard seems to be powering everything else consistently and good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm running Windows XP if that helps, but the flashing starts pre-Windows, so it probably doesn't matter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:42 PM

What's the fan plugged into? Is it a motherboard fan plug? Or is it a four-pin Molex? I think I'd be wondering about the power supply. The only lighted fans I've had were so annoying that I uninstalled them immediately. There's no way to concentrate in front of the computer when it looks as if the gendarmes are coming.

#3 dexter686

dexter686
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:33 PM

It connects to the motherboard, but a molex connector came with it that converts the motherboard plug into a molex if I want it. Do you think that would help?

I don't personally mind lighted fans, as long as it's generally one solid color...nothing rainbow-y, or transitioning, or flashing.

If needs be, is there a simple way to cut the light to the fan without just unplugging it. My computer needs the fan for heat flow, obviously.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:56 PM

I would try the molex adaptor and see what happens, and yes you could just snip one of the two leads to the LED to disable it.

Let us know what happens when you change the connection.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dexter686

dexter686
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

Connected with Molex, and flashing stopped. Thanks everyone!

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:14 PM

Good going!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users