Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New pc shut down and wont boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zusy

zusy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

Hi everyone, i have a problem with my newly built computer and thought id ask here :) appreciate all help i can get!

I built my computer with new components last week and it started fine. It was alright for a couple of days before it froze two times (also froze audio), during playing a game and watching a movie. I did some research and concluded it was Win 8 having problems with running this in fullscreen. I saw others had the same problem.

But yesterday, suddenly like a switch, the computer shut down when i was playing a game. I tried rebooting it but it was dead.

So i did some research again, many said it could be the PSU. But i removed the PSU and tried it with my old computer and it started alright so its not that.

I also tried an other graphics card and it still would not boot. I checked the CPU and it looked fine, no bad smell or burnt etc.

I took out the motherboard and tried diffrrent combinations with the RAM. Still nothing.

I saw someone with similar problem having overheated CPU, but i have installed a cpu cooler and the temp was around 30 celcius when it shut down. So im pretty sure its not overheating..

So, what the heck happened? Bad motherboard or is it the cpu? I have no idea what to do now :|

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zusy

zusy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

Forgot to mention i have a Asus x99 Deluxe mobo and i7-5820k cpu

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

Please can you list the full specs of the system:- what PSU, what graphics card(s) etc.?

EDIT, also can you describe what happens when you cycle the power switch - does it do absolutely nothing, does it spin the fans for a fraction of a second and shut off or something else?  Are there any beep codes or indicators shown on the board itself?

Edited by jonuk76, 06 October 2014 - 06:08 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 zusy

zusy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

Sorry, full specs :) :

MOBO: ASUS X99-DELUXE LGA2011-v3
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820k
CPU COOLER: Phanteks PH-TC14PE
RAM: Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 16GB
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980
PSU: SuperNOVA 750 G2
HDD: Desktop HDD 2TB 7200RPM
SSD: 840 EVO Basic 250GB

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

Cool, nice system :)

Also I edited the last post while you replied.  Basically does the system do anything at all when the power button is pressed?

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 zusy

zusy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:04 AM

Please can you list the full specs of the system:- what PSU, what graphics card(s) etc.?

EDIT, also can you describe what happens when you cycle the power switch - does it do absolutely nothing, does it spin the fans for a fraction of a second and shut off or something else?  Are there any beep codes or indicators shown on the board itself?

Well, nothing happens. Power and reset button on the motherboard is lit, and tpu led. All i hear when i push power button is a little click sound. Maybe the PSU? No fans spinning at all, no codes, no leds..

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Doesn't sound too good...

If I understood your post right, you've already tried running it out of the case on a non-conductive surface, but that didn't make a difference?  That should rule out short circuits caused by something on the case contacting where it shouldn't.

The power supply is sufficient for the system.  And it appears to be working correctly on another PC, so that appears to rule that out as a cause.

You've tried another graphics card, no change, so that rules that out.

I might suggest trying only one stick of RAM in various slots, although IME, memory problems usually result in the system powering on and beeps or error codes, not a completely dead system.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

Has the CPU cooler been fitted absolutely correctly with  the orientation of the backplate correct, and any "insulator" supplied with it fitted?  It's worth checking against the instructions.

I think at the moment I'm moving towards if none of the above attempts help, then I'd be looking at the most probable cause being a motherboard fault.  This is probably more likely than a faulty CPU :scratchhead:

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users