Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8 update hangs at 12%

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jonhut

jonhut

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

I  refreshed my g4 pavilion. afterwards when I restarted it did an our long update. when it got to "configuring updates" it stopped indefinately at 12%.  I have repeted the whole proccess several times and the same thing happens. I read that it coulkd be my antivirus causing the problem. But I can't disable it because when I start the computer it gos into the configure updates mode and hangs again. I can not seem to get it to start in safe mode either.  I can get to the troble shoot menue though by using f11.  However none of the truble shooting options seem to solve the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

If you are trying to boot into Safe Mode you need to know that this isn't possible with Windows 8/8.1 without setting it up to boot into it.  This requires being booted into Windows.  Windows boots so fast that the F8 technique can't work.

I had a similar experience doing a refresh and wound up having to reinstall Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jonhut

jonhut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

Yes, well I can't seem to boot into windows as it just goes right to the update cofig. I can get to the troubleshoot menu by doing a hard shutdown and restart with f11 but I can't seem to figure out how to get to safe mode from there. This is very frustrating. My whole experience with windows 8 has been less than satisfying, I must say.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

Without a installation disc you are really limited in what you can do in this type of situation.  One option would be do a System Recovery which will revert the operating system to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.  Since the F11 key works you should be able to do this.  If you do this you will lose any programs you've installed from a disc or downloaded.  You will lose all of your data, pictures, documents, etc.

If you decide to go this route, you can find a good tutorial at the HP website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jonhut

jonhut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

I actualy figured out hw to get it to boot in safe mode with the comand promt (via f11).  I then did the manual update of KB27771431 driver which all the experts (including the guy at microsoft) said was the cause of the problem and it didn't make any difference.  The good thing is I have discovered that I can do a full shutdown and then start without it going into update mode. If I try to "restart" it go's into update and hangs like before. So I can use the computor now but I assume I need to update as it is telling me there is 111 updates I need.  Meanwhile, the shock wave hanging problem I was having and couldn't solve, which is the reson I did the refresh in the first place is still there.......Uhg!!!!

Anyway, Thanks for the advice.   I can, atleast, boot into windows now so if youve got any other ideas, I'm all ears.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

Go to the Control Panel and open Windows Update and set the Important Updates to Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.

If you do this you can control the number of updates to be installed, installing the updates in smaller numbers will make this process easier.

What is this problem with Shockwave?  Is it the Adobe version, or a plugin for Google Chrome or Firefox? 

Edited by dc3, 10 October 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#7 jonhut

jonhut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

OK, thanks, I will try that. The shockwave problem happens when on internet (firefox or crome). It says shockwave is busy or not responding and hangs -only for a minute- but it does it constantly. I did a lot of searching for a solution and was led to believe it was a conflict with software or settings. I tried to figure out what the conflict was and couldn't.  It was driving me crazy so I decided to do the refresh which set everything back to original and wiped out all installed programs ( didn't start having the problem until a year after I got the computer). But once I finally got through the whole updating debacle (not all the way yet), it went right back to doing it.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

Google Chrome, unlike other browsers, has its own version of Adobe Flash Player built in. If you're also running another web browser that requires a downloaded version of Adobe Flash player to be installed, the two versions of the software are likely to be causing a conflict.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users