Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

http://classicshell.net/ - Anyone have detailed knowledge of it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

I knew of after market products for a "fee" to give you the classic view but never went into it. To make a long story short I was just in a Windows Server 2012 OS where some other IT company loaded this product http://classicshell.net/ 

I poked around and from what I can tell it's working, it's free, and some IT company likes using it but I am careful too.

Anyone mess around with this much?

Note from what I read it will work also on Windows 8.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fardooste

Fardooste

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

I have had good experiences with it, and use it. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

I've been using it for the last year.  It makes Windows 8 resemble Widows 7 which makes the use of it with those new to Window 8 a little more intuitive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

Thanks Guys,

I assume it's as stable on Windows 2012 since that is where I found it today?

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#5 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

From the Classic Shell website:

What are the system requirements of Classic Shell?
Classic Shell supports Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2. There is only one installer for all and it covers both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. Not all features are supported for all versions of Windows.

I've been using it for close to two years now (maybe longer) and I have it installed on all of my Windows 7 and 8 computers at home.   

I have not installed it on our installation of Server 2012 R2 at work :)  .

Edited by daveydoom, 06 October 2014 - 11:34 AM.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#6 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

Yeah I read their description but I am cautious. It's free and stumbled upon this so I am careful. But clearly the other IT company loaded this on the server that I installed. 

***Note***

#7 Fardooste

Fardooste

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

I have seen it on a few server 2012 servers, although I never installed it myself.  so far no issues as far as I know. 

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

Bleeping Computer has a tutorial by Grinler about Classic Shell in the Windows 8 section.

If it were not safe to use he would not have recommended it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

#9 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

Bleeping Computer has a tutorial by Grinler about Classic Shell in the Windows 8 section.

If it were not safe to use he would not have recommended it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Fair enough. But I am not about to review all the article unless I am really bored and the desire to do so hits me. Thanks for the link.

***Note***

#10 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

I'm sure that million and millions have used Classic Shell for Win 8 and 8.1, and we NEVER hear complaints.

That says it all.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users