Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help deciding what browser to download

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 curlly62

curlly62

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

I am currently using IE 9 and am being told by several web pages my browser is outdated and should update to get better viewing experience. I have been told my some people that the new version of IE is just horrible and that Google Chrome just sort of does it own thing from time to time. Can somebody please give me some input?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

Try these two. You can always uninstall or keep both. User preference. For what it is worth I've used Firefox since 2004.

Download only from these sites:

Download Firefox — Free Web Browser — Mozilla

Chrome

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

Since they are all free why not try as many as you wish. I personally have 4 now, used to have 6 browsers, with the older version of Opera as my default. Currently I have IE 10, Chrome, Firefox and the previously mentioned Opera. Depending on what I need to do or test, I choose the browser that works best for my needs at the time.

You can safely upgrade your IE to version 10, But I would caution you not to upgrade to version 11. I have seen quite a few people have incompatibility issues with version 11. Which forced them to revert back to version 10. Just be sure not to allow automatic updating.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:29 PM

I am currently using IE 9 and am being told by several web pages my browser is outdated and should update to get better viewing experience. I have been told my some people that the new version of IE is just horrible and that Google Chrome just sort of does it own thing from time to time. Can somebody please give me some input?

Eventually IE9 won't be supported anymore by most if not all sites. So you have to eventually give in and update. Whether you go to 10 or 11 the most common sites I see people having issues with is sites administered in the health industry and "state" sites. Short of that they seem to work...okay. 

With that said I used to use Firefox but eventually went to Chrome.

They are both free and don't do any harm on a PC so it's a no brainer. Load both and find what appeals to you. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users