Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need a new computer? If so, what is the best for me?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

Hey guys:

I am currently using a HP that is roughly 6-ish years old - and I am very happy with it.  It has a 2.0 GHZ processor and runs HP.  It is fast for what I need and want to do on it.

The fan has been randomly kicking up for a few seconds here and there (if I have a few tabs open and one is playing a video.)  I took it off a few weeks ago and really cleaned it out well - it was caked on pretty well. 

AT some point, I know that more than likely, it is going to die - so I need to be prepared to get a new machine.

I essentially have two questions:

1.  What is the best way to back up EVERYTHING that I have to transfer it to the new machine - so I can make accessing that information as seamless as possible? 

2.  Through a company discount, I was able to get the 2010 full version of Microsoft Office for $10.  I downloaded it and got the CD as well.  I have never used the CD - and have been using the Office program for 4 years. . I don't want to give it up.  I still want to be able to use and access those files.  (Previous experiences with Open Office didn't leave me greatly thrilled.)

Can I get a newer machine with Windows 7, load that CD, and then transfer everything over with something like Carbonite or an external hard drive?

I have been on some computers that use Windows 8, and don't really care for it.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

Thanks for being smarter than me,

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

1) Attach (internally or externally) the hard drive out of the old machine to the new machine and then copy (drag and drop with Windows Explorer) your stuff over into the appropiate folders.

2) Run the Setup.exe program on that CD/DVD, let MSOffice install itself and you will then be able to open, edit, print and save MSOffice files. (You will need your MSOffice 2010 Product ID/Key.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 06 October 2014 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users