Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing connection frequently for no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 whyrouterwhy

whyrouterwhy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:46 AM

It appears to be a network problem, and we suspect the Belkin router.  Periodically (and this just started today), the sunburst icon and then the little green circle appears over the network access icon on the taskbar, indicating I'm about to lose connection.  Then I lose connection, but only for a few seconds, while the no network access yellow triangle with an exclamation mark over it on the network access symbol shows up.  When I hover over it while it's happening, it says identifying....no network access.  We saw the light out on the router one time when we were checking it during an episode, and we unplugged the router for a little while and plugged it back in, but this didn't help at all.  Sometimes it does it when another device on the network is logging in, and sometimes it appears to do so for no reason whatsoever.  I scanned with malwarebytes (but the free trial thing is up so I dunno if that did any good) and then a full Avast virus scan and Avast boot scan.  All that found was a few corrupted zip files, but I doubt that's relevant.  And it's getting rather annoying since I can't game while this is going on.

It isn't a regular set disconnect either.  It varied between 5 mins between disconnects, and half an hour, and everything in between.

Just now, I lost the connection and the router's light was red instead of blue.  Now it frequently goes red-light. (as of around 12:10 pm PST) and then i have to unplug it for like 30 seconds and plug it back in.

Could it have something to do with the most recent updates to the router's firmware?  Or does this mean we should probably get a new router?  Or maybe something to do with Mac addresses (since there's both PC and apple devices on teh same network)?  It only started after someone backed up their apple based phone on their pc laptop (those two devices are wireless but I'm hardwired in by ethernet to my desktop PC) for the first time ever.

Edited by whyrouterwhy, 06 October 2014 - 02:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chriscarlyle

chriscarlyle

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:05 AM

I am having the same problem the only difference is my connection drops and doesn't pick back up until I unplug the router. That still doesn't work.

It's the router because I disconnected the router and plugged the modemn in the computer, and I was able to browse for an hour with no interruptions. Then I called Belkin and was placed on hold on 20 minutes due to high call volumns. Apparently this isn't a problem between just you and me. I got assitance but they wanted to charge me $20 for a problem on their end... I hung up the phone... now I'm stuck trying to figure out my own solution.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

@chriscarlyle - start your own thread. it gets confusing when someone piggy backs.

@whyrouterwhy - if you didn't have this issue before the update then it's the update. what is the model Belkin you have?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 whyrouterwhy

whyrouterwhy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

@whyrouterwhy - if you didn't have this issue before the update then it's the update. what is the model Belkin you have?

Well the thing is I don't know when the latest updates were.  Is there a way to find out?  I don't know if it coincides with someone trying to back up apple device info on a PC machine (yesterday morning, and I noticed the problem late yesterday morning after that had happened).

It happened at 11:11, 11: 30, and 11:50, and 12:10 so far today...(as of 12:13 pm PDT--logging in around 10:45ish - so while it had more frequent instances yesterday it seems so far to be doing it every 20 min).

Router model number is F9K1105v1

Edited by whyrouterwhy, 06 October 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Routers don't auto update. You have to manually down load and install the firmware.

Backing up a phone only revealed the issue and is not source of the issue.

You need to determine if its the router or the modem / broadband connection. 

From what you describe it sounds like the router is going out.  But to know for sure you will want to connect your pc to the modem directly by wire when the routers internet connection has gone out.  Do you get internet?  If so you know the problem is with the router.  If no internet its time to put in a trouble ticket with your ISP.

#6 whyrouterwhy

whyrouterwhy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

Routers don't auto update. You have to manually down load and install the firmware.

Backing up a phone only revealed the issue and is not source of the issue.

You need to determine if its the router or the modem / broadband connection. 

From what you describe it sounds like the router is going out.  But to know for sure you will want to connect your pc to the modem directly by wire when the routers internet connection has gone out.  Do you get internet?  If so you know the problem is with the router.  If no internet its time to put in a trouble ticket with your ISP.

the modem itself is fine.  Nothing wrong with it at all

We had the most recent update from the website.

Mac Address filtering which we tried (because of the coincidence) did not solve the problem, but we think that somehow the apple issue caused our router to screw up that had something to do with being in unprotected mode.  Protected mode is now on, so we'll see if that solves the problem.  Something about how too much traffic was probably causing cache dumping.

If it doesn't, we will probably have to get a new router.  But it's 2 years old, is it normal for routers to go out after this amount of time?  We had a lot of traffic on it recently (wireless devices from visitors who would stream anime and such), would that make it work harder or have problems (if their devices had something on it like a worm)?

Edited by whyrouterwhy, 06 October 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#7 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

By any chance are you using Comcast? I ask for they did a worldwide firmware update today and FUBAR a bunch if not all modems. They are slowly fixing it. Big OOPS from the ISP! 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#8 whyrouterwhy

whyrouterwhy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

By any chance are you using Comcast? I ask for they did a worldwide firmware update today and FUBAR a bunch if not all modems. They are slowly fixing it. Big OOPS from the ISP! 

no I am on Shaw Cable broadband.

It's been almost 3 hours since we put it on protected mode with no disconnects, crossing fingers that it doesn't do any more disconnecting today.  The odd part is the sunburst icon which when I hover over it, states there's connections available but I'm not connected (since I'm wired in but the router does wifi too).

Update:  Disconnected again at 3:54 pm, apparently due to IP conflict with another device. (at least that's what one of the other computers on the network indicated).  Then again at 4:17.  then at 4:35, 4:50, 5:22

One solution we'll have to wait to try til everybody gets home is assign each device to its own static IP so we don't get IP conflicts, and see if that helps.

Edited by whyrouterwhy, 06 October 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#9 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:10 AM

It's been almost 3 hours since we put it on protected mode with no disconnects, crossing fingers that it doesn't do any more disconnecting today.  The odd part is the sunburst icon which when I hover over it, states there's connections available but I'm not connected (since I'm wired in but the router does wifi too).

Update:  Disconnected again at 3:54 pm, apparently due to IP conflict with another device. (at least that's what one of the other computers on the network indicated).  Then again at 4:17.  then at 4:35, 4:50, 5:22

One solution we'll have to wait to try til everybody gets home is assign each device to its own static IP so we don't get IP conflicts, and see if that helps.

Sure you don't have anything static on your network?

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#10 whyrouterwhy

whyrouterwhy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

Sure you don't have anything static on your network?

nothing gets a static IP because it's DHCP.

Edited by whyrouterwhy, 07 October 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#11 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

Okay. The only reason I ask is I next to never see an IP conflict where everything is DHCP. The only time(s) I see IP Conflict is when a tech screwed up and setup an IP on the DHCP range and not excluded that IP. Commonly happens with printers. 

***Note***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users