Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System image backup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:25 AM

Hello all,

Some time ago, I cloned my 128 GB ssd with Win 8 installed on it to a 2 TB hdd for the purpose of having a bootable backup copy of my ssd. So, now I have 128GB of drive space on the 2TB hdd devoted to a copy of Win 8, while the rest is a partition for various data, games and programs. Now I want to update the Win 8 copy on the 2TB drive. If I understand correctly, cloning again will wipe out the data partition on the 2TB drive. I'd like to not lose that data, so I was wondering if a recently made system image backup of the 128 GB ssd can be used on the 2TB drive Win 8 install without wiping out the data partition. Thanks, for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:34 AM

In theory it could, as you are asked which partitions and/or hard drives you don't want to format, but I've never tried it the way you want to do it and I have a feeling that you wouldn't even be permitted to choose to not format that data partition, but even if you did, I would consider it risky, assuming you don't have all that data backed up elsewhere.

I just took a few minutes to think about this a bit more.

Seems to me that I remember wanting to do something similar, so what I did was put the Windows System Image onto the data partition, knowing that Windows couldn't possibly overwrite the image itself while restoring it, thus the data partition would be safe, but it didn't work.

I got a notification to the effect of,

Windows cannot use this image as it is on the drive that needs to be formatted in order to restore the image.

Those are my words, but you get the picture.

In short, I don't think there is any way for you to do it, but I'll keep it in the back of my mind and advise you, if I figure out another way.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've done a bunch of Google searching to find the answer before I posted here but couldn't find anything. I too at first put the system image on the data partition of the 2TB drive, and found that the Windows image restoring software simply excluded the whole 2TB drive as a place to where the system image could be restored. It didn't explicitly tell me that restoring a system image would wipe out all partitions on a drive, but that seems to be the implication, or it could be an just odd quirk in the software to not allow a system image restore to the same physical drive as the system image itself is on.

As an aside, I have certainly experienced some odd quirks in Windows software in the effort to try to make a bootable backup copy of Windows on my 2TB drive. For example I thought I could use Windows Easy Transfer, to update my 2TB drive Windows install. Windows Easy Transfer software says in it's description "You can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files from a Windows 8, Windows RT or Windows 7 PC to this PC." However, what I found was that the Windows 8.1 version of Windows Easy Transfer has no option to write a migration file. So, I can only read a migration file from the os's listed, but I can't write a migration file so that I can update my backup Windows 8.1 install.

Maybe I could perform an experiment. I could make a small 5-10GB partition on my ssd, copy some data there, create a system image of the ssd on another drive, and then restore that image back to my ssd. If the data partition remains unscathed on the ssd, I should be able to do the same thing on my 2TB drive without losing data. I think that would be fairly safe. I want to have a system image at hand for the purpose of restoring to my ssd anyway, so this would be a test run of an event which requires a system image restore to my ssd. I don't want to keep that small data partition on my ssd after the experiment, but that can be removed later.

That being said, what I should probably do, though, is just cave in and buy another hdd big enough to backup the data on my 2TB drive. Then, there would be no risks of losing data accomplishing my goal of having a bootable, updated, backup copy of Win 8.1 on my 2TB drive. I think that's what I'll have to do, unless anybody has any more applicable information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users