Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why did keyboard stop working except in setup/reinstall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NotABot

NotABot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

Hello -

I have an old ZaReason netbook (from about 2010 I think?) that came with Ubuntu installed. But after a few years of upgrades it wasn't keeping up any longer (too slow). Rather than go back to an earlier version of Ubuntu (I think it started with 10.4/Lucid Lynx? Not later than that), I looked around and decided to put Linux Mint MATE 17/Qiana 32-bit on it, figuring if that was too slow I could try another distro. All was working fine, and I was really enjoying Mint. But a month or so later, I booted up to find that my keyboard wouldn't respond.

I assumed I'd broken it somehow hauling it around on mass transit, so I set it aside (as I also have other computers to use). But then this evening on a lark I booted it up again and pressed the key to get into the BIOS - and the keyboard responds to that, even though it won't respond once the system is up and running.

So, right now while I'm working on another machine, I'm reinstalling Linux Mint MATE totally from scratch all over again on the netbook and during the install the keyboard is working for me to type in my user name/etc. UPDATE: The install just finished and the keyboard is working just fine (I was a able to type perfectly in the text editor, as one would normally expect, iow).

So, what happened? I'm curious is this was just a fluke, or a bug, or a sign I can only use Ubuntu on the machine, or...? I would like to understand so I can remedy the problem for good if it returns.

The netbook is old but it's perfect for taking on the road for basic word processing (LibreOffice) and internet research (Firefox) that I can flesh out on more powerful machines later. So I'd like to keep using it. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Here are the netbook specs, if that helps:

Memory 2.0 GiB
Processor Intel Atom CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz x 2
Graphics Intel IGD|x86/MM/SSE2
OS Type 32-bit
Disk 151.3 GB

Thanks -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:34 AM

Hi :welcome:  To BC

So, what happened? I'm curious is this was just a fluke

Who knows, You have installed another Operating System so I guess there are no logs.

Do you know about Desktop Enviroment's? 

You could Add LXDE to your linux. You will still have Mate it will just be faster.

The hardware requirements of LXDE are similiar to Windows 98 (Maybe a little bit higher). An old Pentium II CPU is enough.

LXDE.org | Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment

This will work on any Buntu

LXDE?
The "Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment" is an extremely fast-performing and energy-saving desktop environment.
Why use LXDE?
LXDE uses less CPU and less RAM than other environments. It is especially designed for cloud computers with low hardware specifications, such as, netbooks, mobile devices (e.g. MIDs) or older computers. Here is System Monitor comparison during my test:

http://www.ohbuntu.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/lubuntu-install-lxde-in-ubuntu.html

Its also in Software Manager

........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Now onto something cool. Puppy Linux.

This should interest you.

This is the basic puppy.

The netbook is old but it's perfect for taking on the road for basic word processing (LibreOffice) and internet research (Firefox) that I can flesh out on more powerful machines later. So I'd like to keep using it. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

This will turn that machine into an speed deamon.

March 9, 2014 - The developers group led by 01micko has released the latest build of Slacko Puppy, version 5.7.

Open ibiblio.org folder of Slacko 5.7 and choose your preferred ISO*.

Open nluug.nl folder of Slacko 5.7 and choose your preferred ISO*.

Other download sites are at aarnet, internode, UOC, and VCU.

ISO Size: 161 MB

* Note: The PAE build is for enabling full access to installed RAM in PAE-enabled, high-memory machines. Non-PAE is for older PCs with at least 256 MB RAM (512 MB is recommended).

You can run this from a Live Cd with a save file or Install it to USB and boot your PC that way, Or install it to your Hard Drive.

If you have not tried Puppy Please try it that machine will LOVE it.

http://youtu.be/lN4Qmup86kE

Then you can try this. This is Puppy on steroids still just as fast with way more packed in.

This has everything you will ever need pre installed.

Puppy_Linux_precise-5.7.1-retro-fatty-2014-jan-csipesz

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_precise-5.7.1-retro-fatty-2014-jan-csipesz

There are tutorials by me on how to connect puppy linux to wifi in this section.

If you want to put a bit of time and effort into this you can re vamp that machine with a Puppy and it will give you years more service.

Edited by NickAu1, 06 October 2014 - 04:07 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users