Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed used hard drive but doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vwtuner07

vwtuner07

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:56 PM

Hello, first let me say thank you for taking the time to try to help me. So let's do the specs.

Computer: Dell Optiplex 745 pretty much stock
BIOS: Dell System 2.3.1
Used hard drive: Western Digital Scorpio Blue WB3200BEVT-75A23T0 320GB SATA
Stock hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 2.13 GHz NH82801HB L6485A57 SL9MN
Motherboard: stock Dell whatever they put in it
Video Card: there's one added and I don't feel like pulling it out but I will if need be
RAM: 2GB stock with 4GB I added making 6GB total (math skills at work)

I hope those were the specs needed, I pretty much know enough to get myself in trouble : / So let's do the story. I was talking to a dude and I was like; Me: "hey dude, I wanna make my piece of crap Dell a hackintosh duel booting osX and Windows 7." Dude: "Here's a used hard drive." Me: "Sweeeeeet." So I plugged the newly acquired drive into the provided hole using the provided power ribbon that was dangling just begging to power something and then plugged in the SATA cable "dude" gave me. Started up the computer and it got stuck at the Dell ummmm splash screen? Maybe? Where it says press F2 to do something and F12 for something else, you know what I'm talking about. Anywho I entered BIOS and the port in which the used drive was connected said "Controller = Serial ATA ł Port = SATA 4 ł Drive ID = Unknown" to which I said "@*#$" (sorry kids) so I moved the cable to port SATA 1 with the same results other than BIOS now saying "Port = SATA 1" ... Obviously. So now I'm wondering if this used hard drive has stuff on it like maybe an OS or something so i unplug my factory disk and let 'er rip, nothing bootable. So back to BIOS and low and behold I can now see the used drive's ID and capacity yaaaay. So I plug both drives back in now with the cables and ports crossed, the used drive's info is unknown once again. I found that I can in fact load windows by choosing SATA drive from the boot menu. Windows loads and I can tell it's being sluggish, I cannot find the used drive in "Computer", nor can I find it in Control Panel-Admin Tools-Storage-Disk Manager. So now I'm really thinking.... I smelled smoke so I stopped.... I then went to Western Digital's website and downloaded their diagnostic tool but to my dismay it would not detect the used drive either. Now I'm just puzzled, I would assume the drive is ok, the cable and port is ok, and it's probably a BIOS setting or some stupid conflict of sorts, my knowledge of the matter is expended and I need help (with the computer too).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 vwtuner07

vwtuner07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:04 AM

Also In BIOS the SATA operation is set to Legacy instead of Normal. I haven't the slightest clue what this means. Could it be the answer? Probably not. Anybody have a dumbed down explanation of what this means or does or doesn't do?

#3 vwtuner07

vwtuner07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

I found this awesome website called www.google.com they have a lot of answers so I'm now abreast to what legacy mode is. I also tried changing to normal and it didn't change anything. Silver lining: I'm enjoying replying to myself.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

Just to confirm, If you connect only the WD drive to the lowest SATA port number and leave the Seagate unattached the WD recognized in BIOS? Are you wanting to get data off the WD or just use it as another backup drive?

#5 vwtuner07

vwtuner07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

It doesn't matter which serial port the used drive is on as long as the seagate is disconnected bios will recognize it. I would like to eventually put apple osX operating system on it for a hackintosh build but for now i was just wanting to hook it up to make sure it works and stuff. Thank you for your reply.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,605 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

Download Parted Magic. Burn the iso on another computer. On a Windows 7 computer, right click, select burn image. Boot the Dell and tap the f12 key to get the boot menu. Select your optical drive. When you get to the parted magic desktop, double click the Disk Health Icon. It could also be called Gsmartcontrol. Run the short test. Does the drive pass?

Edit: Do this with only the WD drive attached.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 October 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#7 vwtuner07

vwtuner07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

I will try that when I get home, thanks

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,605 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:16 PM

You can use the File Manager of PartedMagic to see if there is another OS on the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users