Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This webpage is not available

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 J_Guy

J_Guy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED?

A few nights ago I was on my favorite Resident Evil modding forum editing a post to update on new discoveries in the workings of hex code on RE2 animations and when I hit "submit", I was brought to a page with a white background reading "This webpage is not available", "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT". I let it slide for a few days, figuring it was just a temporary issue but the problem never resolved itself, and I'm getting impatient. I visited a different but related modding forum where some of the same users hung out and messaged them and they said the site was working perfectly fine for them. I went onto someone else's computer (a laptop on a different network) and sure enough the site loaded up.

I tried clearing the browsing data, using different internet browsers, refreshing the webpage five times, unplugging the internet cable from the back of the computer, rebooting, and plugging it back in, running bitdefender, and doing the rain dance but nothing worked. At this point I'm starting to think that nothing will fix the problem except throwing the computer out the window.

Windows 7 64bit, PC, preferred browser is Google Chrome

Edited by J_Guy, 06 October 2014 - 06:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

Hello, and Welcome

I can't say this will solve the problem but try using OpenDNS for a DNS server. You can add the DNS servers as shown here. . If you have a DNS server shown write it down in case you have to go back.

Remember to flush the DNS cache after changing the server address. Type CMD in the search window. Right click > Run as Administrator. Type the following

ipconfig /flushdns

Also clear your Browser cache. See if you can access the site. If not, reboot the computer and try again.

#3 J_Guy

J_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

Surprisingly none of that worked. It sounded like good advice, too. I followed every last step including rebooting the computer.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

The only other thing I can think of is to look in the HOSTS file and see if that site is listed. If it is delete that line.

Another thing. When the error occurs open a command prompt and type

ipconfig/release  <enter>
ipconfig/renew    <enter>

Does this work?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 October 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#5 J_Guy

J_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

The website wasn't listed in the hosts file. I released and renewed the ipconfig, deleted the browsing history, and restarted the computer afterwards but no luck. If it helps, I have a wired connection and not wireless.

-Site DID load by using someone else's different computer/internet

-Site did NOT load by switching user

-Site did NOT load in Safe Mode w/ Networking

-Site did NOT load with clean boot

-Site did NOT load with reset of internet settings

-Site did NOT load when I sold my soul to satan

-The site doesn't seem to be showing up in any of my searches. It's as if it doesn't exist.

Edited by J_Guy, 06 October 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#6 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

Here try this:

Bring up command prompt (Start Run cmd and hit enter)

Type ipconfig /flushdns

Try the site

If fails I would do this:

Go to your IP properties of your NIC card; most likely they are set to Dynamic.

Change your DNS to static and add 8.8.8.8

Save that and try again. You might have to run an ipconfig /flushdns after that but that should do it unless something else is wrong.

Edited by Ivy74, 06 October 2014 - 02:37 PM.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#7 J_Guy

J_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

@Ivy74

No, none of that worked either. Do you think I could fix the problem by changing the IP address?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

I don't think this will work because you can access other sites. At a command prompt with admininstrator rites type

netsh winsock reset  <enter>

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt  <enter>

Reboot

#9 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

Changing it on what? 

If someone else can access it on a different network/computer that rules out the website. 

If you can't access it from any PC on your network that leads me to believe DNS or/and something wrong with your network such as the router. 

There have been posts and I seen people getting blocked by sites, blacklisting and so on. So that is a possibility.

Power-cycle your modem/router couldn't hurt. 

I have had a similar issue happen to me and what occurred was the site changed hosting company so their public IP changed. It can take a DNS server up to 48hrs for your DNS settings to get the latest info which is why I suggested you use DNS IP 8.8.8.8 for that is Google's DNS server and it gets the latest IP faster than any other DNS server I have ever seen.

Try ping the website and let us know the website so we can ping it and see if the results match.

Example when I ping www.google.com it resolves to 74.125.228.16.  If you ping this website (please list it) it resolves to???

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#10 J_Guy

J_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

@JohnC_21

Nope.

@ Ivy74

I had to edit the address slightly in order to ping it correctly

4 packets sent, 0 received, 4 lost (whatever that means)

Edited address - www.re123.bplaced.net

Original address - http://re123.bplaced.net/board/index.php

RxZBONG.png?1

Edited by J_Guy, 06 October 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

Paste the original address in the address bar here. Can you access the site?

#12 J_Guy

J_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

1342207954happy-lesquee.png

@JohnC_21

Yes, I was able to access the site through that proxy server. What does this mean? Should I open the site through this server from now on?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

What is may say is your ISP is preventing you from accessing that site for some reason or the site is not letting users from certain locations access the site. That is just a guess. Ivy74 may have a better answer. You can use the proxy server to access that site. They also have a portable client you can use. There are other free VPN's you can use by setting up their IP address in Windows. Here is another

#14 J_Guy

J_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

Thanks. I bookmarked a KProxy link to the site so that I can access it quickly. I was starting to think that I wouldn't find a solution. Now I can take it easy. I edited the main post to let people know the problem is fixed.

#15 J_Guy

J_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

That's weird. When I try to log in to Resident Evil Modification, it says my username doesn't exist. Yet, I can still see my posts under that username. Yet, I can still log in to any other site on the web with KProxy. I'll contact the REM site admin and register a new account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users