Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc Drives and External Drive are GONE!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hypnotised

Hypnotised

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

I noticed recently that my computer will not recognize my CD/CD-ROM Drive, Neither my CD Drive is recognized, or my CD Burner Drive. All that appears when I click on Computer is C: Drive and Backup E: Drive. I first noticed when I tried to burn a CD-R and the RealPlayer had an Error message stating 'No CD Burner Detected'. I need to use those drives! I just bought a new printer and I desperately need to download the drivers for it! I also need to use my CD Burner. What on earth happened? It's all very mysterious. I attached a Print Screen Word file of what my Computer Drives screen looks like now. The CD Drive is not there, and the CD Burner Drive isn't recognized either. There's got to be a simple solution to this. I'm usually good at fixing computer glitches, but this one's a stumper.
I have a Dell XPS400.
Running Windows 7 Ultimate.
Plenty of hard drive space and lots of RAM.
Thank you.

Attached Files

Edited by Hypnotised, 06 October 2014 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:25 AM

This may help ... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/optical-drives-not-detected/7ff11bad-3849-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5 .

#3 Hypnotised

Hypnotised
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

This may help ... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/optical-drives-not-detected/7ff11bad-3849-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5 .

I will definitely try this. Look promising. In the meantime, I have additonal information for you.
I went to Device Manager and under each CD-ROM device, I went to Properties and under the General tab, the Device Status for each drive says this:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I have Screenshots of the Device Properties which shows the Device Status (above in quotes) for each CD-ROM drive, and has the exact brand and name of each device, but I don't see an 'Attachment' feature in this forum.
Will try the fix in your link and get back to you.
If you have any additional info based on this "damaged registry" information, let me know.
Have no clue how this happened.
Thanks.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

Well, it's certainly worth a try. Go to Dell and DL the latest ODD driver suite and try reloading them. I would normally try to give you a link to the driver page, but 2 problems;

1. The way you describe your PC definitely makes me think it's a desktop ( two ODDs).

2. But if I do a Bing search for 'Dell XPS400', what comes up is a laptop,,,  so best you do this.

#5 Hypnotised

Hypnotised
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

SUCCESS!!! Wow. This above link you gave me was IT!! I am impressed you came up with that. There are about 12 possible repair solution links in the above article you provided and i got it on the first one!. It started out with the basics.
1. First I attempted to update the drivers. That wasn't it.
2. I uninstalled both CD/DVD drives and REBOOTED. That wasn't it.
3. I used the Windows Hardware and Devices troubleshooter for Windows 7 and 8 accessible like this:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type control in the Run dialog box, then press Enter.
  3. In the Search box in Control Panel, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
  4. Under the Hardware and Sound item, click Configure a device

That didn't work.

I used the Windows CD/DVD Fix-it Troubleshooter here:

http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

That didn't work.

5. Lastly, I manually fixed the corrupted registry entries for these disc drives. (We knew they were corrupt or damaged based on the Device Status in the Device Manager which stated so, and I had previously pasted in this thread.)
Here's the solution that actually WORKED!!

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
  3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
  5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
    Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next resolution. (There was NO LowerFilters Reg entry on mine.)
  8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  10. Exit Registry Editor.
  11. Restart the computer.

THAT DID IT! i could not believe it! Usually it would take most of the day and you'd have to work your way through about 5 or 6 of those different troubleshooting links before something worked. Not this time! I got really lucky and the very first link did it. I cannot thank you enough! Genius.
It was this link:

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Lastly, the XPS 400 is a workhorse PC that Dell made to accommodate gamers (which I am not) and it's like tank. It's older, but incredibly fast and efficient and can handle just about anything you throw at it, figuratively speaking of course. Newer isn't always better, and that's definitely the case here. The RAM, hard drive space, Video Card and Processor have all been upgraded.
Link:

http://www.pcworld.com/product/27828/dell-xps-400.html

Thank you again!! You’ve done a very good deed today. Well done, sir.

Edited by Hypnotised, 06 October 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

FWIW:  The MS Fixit you ran should have produced the same results...my understanding is it now makes those same registry edits that users have been making manually in such circumstances...for years and years now :).

In any case, congrats on solving it.

Louis

#7 Hypnotised

Hypnotised
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

"FWIW:  The MS Fixit you ran should have produced the same results...my understanding is it now makes those same registry edits that users have been making manually in such circumstances...for years and years now :).

In any case, congrats on solving it."

Yeah. The Windows Fixit did nothing.

"congrats on solving it". Thank you, sir.

Edited by Hypnotised, 07 October 2014 - 09:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users