Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Windows Vista Home Premium on a New Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

A friend brought me her Dell Vista Home Premium computer and told me that the old hard drive had failed.  She was afraid to swap out the hard drive and I told her I would help.  She got a new 500 gig hard drive which I installed.  No problem in hooking up the sata and power connectors.  The CD/DVD drive as well as the Seagate hard drive are both recognized in BIOS. 

She received a Windows Vista 32 bit Disc operating system disk from Dell.  Dell also sent her drivers.

My problem is that after I've set the #1 boot priority to CD/DVD and restarted the computer does not boot from the installation disc.  It shows a notice that there is no boot device. 

I thought this would be a simple install.  Not sure what I should do.  I would sure appreciate any assistance.  Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

Tapping F12 at boot should bring up a boot menu. Do you see a CD/DVD entry?

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:34 AM

It does show using F12 both the hard drive and the CD/DVD Drive.  I selected the CD/DVD.

Can the drive be recognized (CD/DVD) but not work?  It doesn't sound like a disc is spinning when I try to run from the CD/DVD!

Thanks for your thoughts.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:23 AM

If the DVD laser has failed in the ODD, then the OS disk probably won't work. Replace the ODD.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,257 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

You can also install Windows using a USB flash drive. You will need a good CD/DVD drive and Imgburn. Read the disk on a slow speed in Imgburn to create an iso file. When installing Imgburn opt out of any optional downloads.  Download Rufus and when running opt out of any update check. Select iso image in the lower dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file. Click Start. Any data that was on the Flash drive will be erased. Attach the flash drive, boot the computer and tap F12. Select the flash drive and press enter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users