Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A-squared...should I?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

:thumbsup: Hello all

Quick question,which is a strange one coming from me,the guy who prides on keeping everything protected ,but, i have never used a-squared and i get the idea its basically the same as ewido (but thats a guess) so my question is this. I have Spybot,ad-aware,ewido,defender among others and im wondering do i need another anti-malware programme,being a-squared?
I,like everyone down with protecting there PC's, feel that we all need as much protection as we can have,but what i dont want to do is download another programme that is practically the same as others.So, should i or shouldnt i bother?

and one other thing........has anyone tried the new ewido yet?I know its still in beta stage,but is it any good?

Many thanks
Graveangel :flowers:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

Ewido 4.0 beta review by AndyAtHull
http://securitycadets.com/?p=75
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

Just something to note...a2 has been known to report alot of false positives. Also, if you have 2-3 active protection programs then your computer should be fairly safe, and adding additional programs won't really do anything other than eat up system resources.

In my opinion, ewido is a better program than a2.
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:37 AM

Having two or three anti-spyware applications will catch all of the major examples of malware. The law of diminishing returns begins to operate much past three applications, because the addition ones end up finding really obscure and "doubtful" cases; nor would I trust a Beta application for computer security since a Beta is released for public TESTING, and relying on something untested for security does not, at least in my mind, make sense.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. I know that different anti-malware products do detect different things, just wasnt sure on weather or not to download, and for now i think i may leave it. I have heard, like you stated Harry,that a2 does produce a few false positives, but likewise , having too many programmes eats system resources also. Security is more important than speed, but i do know i am pretty secure, what with running on-line scans frequently also.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#6 loveablekitty

loveablekitty

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:17 PM

good day John, I hope this is where i'm to asks this ? since it seems to talk about anti-spywares. I have sypdoctor and spy reg mechanic--ad aware se -- norton corp edition and ZA i keep them all up-dated.. but I still get hit with Tros and it seem I get them after I have to reboot for a up-date should I get other spyware? you speak of 3 applications. I'm dealing with 3 tros that are in quarantine now by norton.
best regards, kit
Remember, if you haven't got a smile on your face and
laughter in your heart......Then you are just an old sour fart.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

Trojans are handled by your anti-virus, not anti-spyware, applications, and Norton apparently found all three of them and quarantined them for you. They are now in a place where they cannot hurt your computer, and you may safely delete them after a couple of days.
I don't recommend using more than one anti-virus, especially if you have the real time protection turned on, since they can conflict with one another. Rather than have two in residence, you can always use one of the excellent on-line anti-virus scans to "double check" your hard drive.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 loveablekitty

loveablekitty

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:50 PM

Thank you John I did not know that I can delete them from norton I just always left them in there. "o}
Remember, if you haven't got a smile on your face and
laughter in your heart......Then you are just an old sour fart.

#9 Merlin_22

Merlin_22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:57 AM

A-squared is one of the best software that I have ever used, if it cannot detect malware, you email in and tell them and send that file to them, thne they update it with in a few hours.

Also if there is faulse positives in there and you tell them about it and give them the files, they will look into it and an update will come out to not include it....... A-sqaured is the one of the best that i have ever used, and I am not saying that cause Im a staff member there under a different ID though.

TONY

Kids Safe Forum <--- Please read the site guidelines before registering. You don't have to be a parent nor have any information. You can register and ask things on the forum if you want.

Update: Kids Safe is bringing out K.S.A, for more information on what it is; click the link below:
http://kidssafe.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=504

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users