Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

astromendia.com-installs itself without permission, cannot get rid of it-browser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 docht99

docht99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

astromendia.com-opens new tab-apparently adds an entry to my usual google tab, already uninstalled it from Control Panel. It is a hard one to find and get rid of-third party browser ext./trojan malware. Anyone else get this? It was installed along with manual install of MP3 converter program. I installed it as custom to prevent all these other search bars etc., from installing, but bypassed my selections.

astromendia.com-opens new tab-apparently adds an entry to my usual google tab, already uninstalled it from Control Panel. It is a hard one to find and get rid of-third party browser ext./trojan malware. Anyone else get this? It was installed along with manual install of MP3 converter program. I installed it as custom to prevent all these other search bars etc., from installing, but bypassed my selections. 
PS- it doesn't work as a search engine either, I just tried it, no go.

Attached Files

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 October 2014 - 07:10 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:52 PM

- Does this help you ???

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 October 2014 - 07:06 PM.
link deleted from the post.

#3 docht99

docht99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

already did all those things to my Windows and PC that the first part rcommended, no dice. I am re-running Malwarebytes (It stopped the scan the first time I tried using it) am trying that again, removing all the PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs) then will also try downloading and & running the AdwCleaner as well. Thank, wish me luck. arr, so aggravating when you fix other PC's, but get something like this on your own! Thanks for the tips! Hard to believe a hijacker got me, I usually keep everything up running, cleaned, scanned, defragged, etc... my fault I guess but who sees a hijacker? On a custom install (the media thingy) I always do a custom install so I can thwart those pesky toolbars, etc. hitchhikers don't advertise.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:10 PM

The link provided by Willy22 was deleted from his post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250928/instructions-for-posting-advice-in-am-i-infected-forum/

Posting referral links to non-Bleeping Computer malware removal guides is NOT permitted with the exception of well known security vendors like Kaspersky, Symantec, etc which sometimes release specialized fix tools with instructional documentation. This is because there are far too many untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information and poor removal advice. It is impractical for our staff to monitor and review all such guides for accuracy, therefore, we will not permit members helping others to refer to any of them.

The topic has also been moved to the appropriate forum for malware diagnosis and removal.

#5 docht99

docht99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

to Queen-Evie-thank you, I am rid of the hitch hiker, thanks to another run of the malw b. that we are not supposed to advertise here. I just wanted to say thanks. I was able to detect and remove pup's and reboot, voila! Thanks so much, I can sleep better tonight. You know exactly how I feel , my own PC??? Thank, Have a great day, and will save that last dnld for another day

... hopefully not have to use it.-docht99

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

- I also try to remain free of browser hijackers, adware, etc. But every now & then such malware slips through & manages to get installed. So, I know what you're went through.

- @Queen Evie: Sorry....

#7 docht99

docht99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

thank you Willie22 as well as you first mentioned the fix to me-so far so good. this morning, upon booting up, my Avast finally caught the tail end of a bad browser...finally, so I hope is is gone-I know there are shnivits still here, but for the most part, the hijscker's gone thank you very much. Bleepingcomp. just didn't like the name dropping, but I am glad you

did. thanks again-docht99

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users