Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My first PC build! Advice?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Roxabox

Roxabox

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:46 PM

After experiencing issues with name brand desktops like Toshiba, Dell, HP etc. I would like to build my own PC. Now, I have never done this before and I'm more of a software person but I have replaced parts on my computers before without a problem so I think I'm ready to build my own PC. 

This is my build so far. Please let me know if something is not compatible with the other components or if I'm missing something crucial. I think I did an OK job though:

Case: Apevia X-Sniper

x1 Fan: Cooler master 120mm

DVD RW: Asus

RAM: Kingston 8gb DDR3 (2x4gb)

Motherboard: MSI DDR3

Processor: AMD Quad Core

Graphics Card: MSI

HD: Seagate 3TB HDD

PSU: SFX ATX 550

Edited by Roxabox, 06 October 2014 - 08:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

I guess that I don't know why you would combine an APU (innate graphics) with a physical graphics card.  I don't game so if that sounds stupid, it's OK :)...but I would think that a better match would be something other than an APU.  Your selected board accommodates APU processors, but I'm thinking that I would employ an APU only if I were not a gamer and wanted to avoid the expense of an unnecessary graphics card.

And you don't seem to have monies allocated for O/S or PSU.  Even if a PSU comes with a case, you don't want to use that...I just put those away for emergency backups.  Your chosen case has a bottom-mount for PSU, which seems counter-intuitive no matter what others may say.  The PSU fan is the natural exhaust-out mechanism for a case...the hot air rises, it doesn't descend.  I fail to see the point of a PSU mounted where the cooler air in the case will logically be.  I'd want to exhaust the warmer air.

Louis

#3 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

I fail to see the point of a PSU mounted where the cooler air in the case will logically be.  I'd want to exhaust the warmer air.

Louis

Aesthetics:

Gives you more options when making custom water cooling routes.

Cables are hidden (most of the time).

Ventilation:

Having your PSU mounted at the bot means you free up your top vent, giving space for radiators.

It avoids unnecessary heat from getting into your PSU. IIRC heat increases electrical resistance, which in turn lowers power efficiency.

Cooler operations will also increase the PSU's lifespan.

Besides, most of the modern cases have vents on the top and on the back if you want to exhaust hot air from there.

Misc.

Center of gravity is at bottom, not much impact if your case is well built, but cheap cases may topple (but nobody should buy those anyway).

These are all assumptions though. I hope I am making sense here. :)

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:57 AM

If you're going for a standalone Nvidia GPU, either save your cash and get an Athlon X4 760K if you want to stay with the same platform/motherboard, or you could consider moving up to the FX series and more cores, for example this 8 core CPU and this motherboard.  Total cost is similar to your APU/mobo combination.

Bottom mount PSU - the PSU itself should run cooler.  Downside - you absolutely don't want to stand the case directly on a carpet, and some PSU's cables aren't long enough for this location (especially the 4/8 pin power connector).  Current systems nearly always have as a minimum a 120mm exhaust fan located behind the CPU which removes hot air from the upper part of the case, without relying on the PSU to do it.

You do need a power supply. This one seems good for the money.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

What exactly will this PC be used for and what is the budget?  Don't forget, you need to budget for Windows, which is about $100.

3939.png

#6 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:07 AM

What exactly will this PC be used for and what is the budget?  Don't forget, you need to budget for Windows, which is about $100.

I already have Windows 7, but this computer will mainly be used just for searching the web and support programs such as Adobe Photoshop. I would like it to be capable of running PC games which is why I was looking at graphics cards for it.

#7 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

I already have Windows 7, but this computer will mainly be used just for searching the web and support programs such as Adobe Photoshop. I would like it to be capable of running PC games which is why I was looking at graphics cards for it.

Make sure the video card has it's own RAM (better performance) and try to max out the onboard RAM. When dealing with high end games I get high end video cards, best CPU at that time, and make out the ram or at least get 16GB of RAM in the machine. 3TB drive. Nice. You really going to have that much data? If yes, make sure you have a device that has larger storage than that to keep your data backed-up. Good idea to have 2 of them.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

With Windows, make sure you have a full, boxed retail copy to remain compliant with the license.  With a full, boxed copy, you can move Windows between PC's.  Microsoft defines a PC based on the motherboard, so new motherboard equals new PC.  OEM or System Builder copies are tied to the motherboard and cannot be moved.  If you don't have a full, boxed retail copy, you will need to purchase a copy of Windows, either the full retail version, or the system builder/OEM version.

What games are you going to be playing and at what graphics settings?  I would suggest going with either an AMD FX processor or a high-end Intel i5 or an i7.  The main selling point for AMD's APU is the on-board graphics as it's x86 processing isn't very fast.  Since you won't be using this feature of the APU, you may want something more powerful.  I would go for the GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P AM3+/AM3, since you probably won't be using Crossfire, paired with the AMD FX-8320 or the AMD FX-8350.  If you want to go Intel, the GIGABYTE GA-H97-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H97, unless you want to overclock or use multiple GPU's, in which case, you should get a Z97-based board, paired with an Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz or better CPU.

Edited by DJBPace07, 07 October 2014 - 07:25 AM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users