Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Do I Do With This?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

I get this message on the Blue Screen of Death (on my wife's computer). It ran for over a year reasonably well and then one day the on-board Network Adapter stopped connecting her to our ISP to read email. The Hardware Manager didn't indicate anything was wrong.

I might have spent more time trying to figure out what it was, but I put in a D-Link DFE-530TX+ card and loaded the driver for it (and uninstalled the on-board LAN). Both of our computers are cabled to a hub which drives a broadband radio to our ISP. After doing this, she could connect to the internet and everything seemed to be peachy.

After being on the air for about 30 minutes the Blue Screen popped up telling me to uninstall any recently installed hardware or software. I uninstalled the DFE card and driver and her computer ran fine, except that she couldn't connect to the internet.

I reinstalled the DFE card and driver and after about 30 minutes the Blue Screen popped up again this time telling me PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA. I don't know...
What is a Page Fault?
What is a Page Fault Area?
What is a NonPage area?
Should I know this stuff?

The D-Link Tech said to disable any COM or Parallel Ports I wasn't using. I'm not using any of them. I did this. No Joy.
He told me to uninstall the DFE and move the DFE card to a different connector, then reinstall the driver. I did this. No Joy.

Since I don't understand what the error message means, I am not sure what to do.

Anybody?
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:26 PM

Here's a link that may explain some of this for you. Yes, you should certainly be concerned about this, and you should know something about it.

#3 KermitD

KermitD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

Thanks HERK,
That was a real education.
I went into the Advanced Settings and let "Windows manage my settings" from advice I got from the link.
Funny thing; I had never had that window open before and don't have any idea why any of the settings were as I found them (?). I don't know enough about XP to try and micro-manage Microsoft.
Thanks again. I'll see if I still have the problem.
What a forum!
KermitD

#4 KermitD

KermitD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:12 PM

OK folks,

I am not usually so thick... one of the suggestions on the blue screen was to check for faulty RAM. Of course I couldn't run any kind of a comprehensive memory test because the computer didn't stay up long enough. I did pull one of the two memory sticks, however, and haven't had any trouble since.

I Love this forum,
I Love this forum.
KermitD

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:36 AM

The best way to check RAM is by using Memtest86+. It comes as an ISO image file for a CD and is burned using Roxio, Nero or the free CDBurnerXP.

To run it make sure that in the BIOS the optical drive is ahead of the hard drive in the boot devices order menu. Leave the burnt CD in the drive and restart your system. The program will start itself and run. It should run 2 complete iterations without finding any errors. Test your RAM modules installed one at a time to isolate any bad ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users