Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios update gone horribly wrong...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Roxabox

Roxabox

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

Okay, so my Toshiba LX815 (All-In-One desktop) has been nagging me for about a month to perform a Bios update recommended by Toshiba its self. So I went through and followed the update steps accordingly making sure I did not prematurely restart the computer. When the update completed it asked me to shutdown the computer to finish the process so I did...but then it didn't boot back up and hasn't been able to boot back up. I'm not too good with hardware, I know how to replace hardware but don't know the specifics of each component. I tried replacing the RAM and that didn't work so the only possible thing I can think of would be that somehow the motherboard is f**ked. Any suggestions? Also if I decide to just buy a new mobo which one would you recommend? I'm not a PC gamer (hence the Toshiba LX815 lol).

EDIT: My computer doesn't give me any error beeps upon trying to boot. All it does is it turns the fans on for maybe 5 seconds and then shuts down again and then repeats this cycle until I pull the power cord. The screen stays black. 

Toshiba LX815 Specs

Edited by Roxabox, 05 October 2014 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hello,

Did you do the BIOS flash from within windows or did you use the bootable CD? Is the OS Windows 8 or Windows 7? When the computer first boots does tapping F2 get you to a BIOS menu?

#3 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

Hello,

Did you do the BIOS flash from within windows or did you use the bootable CD? Is the OS Windows 8 or Windows 7? When the computer first boots does tapping F2 get you to a BIOS menu?

I did it from within Windows 7 and unfortunately the computer doesn't boot long enough for the keyboard to connect or screen to turn on so I'm unable to get to the BIOS menu.

Edited by Roxabox, 05 October 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:46 PM

There may be one hope left if the computer can still boot from a CD allowing  you to reflash the BIOS. Here is the support page for the computer. Click on the Drivers tab and select BIOS. Download it. It is a self extracting exe file with an iso file inside the exe file called os2012430a_620_tc50137000c.iso. You can extract it using Winrar or other file archiver like 7 zip.

If you have another WIndows 7 computer you would burn the iso file to disk by right clicking the iso file and select burn image. You can also use Imgburn or Isoburner to burn the iso. You would need to turn on the computer and hopefully open the CD tray in time. Even if the computer turns off, if you get the tray open, you can place the CD in the tray and close it before turning on the computer. If the CD boots then type BIOS at the prompt. Good Luck

For CD-ROM BIOS updates in Windows 7 models:
Boot from CD-ROM. Type BIOS at the C:\ prompt then press Enter.

#5 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

There may be one hope left if the computer can still boot from a CD allowing  you to reflash the BIOS. Here is the support page for the computer. Click on the Drivers tab and select BIOS. Download it. It is a self extracting exe file with an iso file inside the exe file called os2012430a_620_tc50137000c.iso. You can extract it using Winrar or other file archiver like 7 zip.

If you have another WIndows 7 computer you would burn the iso file to disk by right clicking the iso file and select burn image. You can also use Imgburn or Isoburner to burn the iso. You would need to turn on the computer and hopefully open the CD tray in time. Even if the computer turns off, if you get the tray open, you can place the CD in the tray and close it before turning on the computer. If the CD boots then type BIOS at the prompt. Good Luck

I'll have to give that a try. Might be a couple days before I can try since I don't have a spare computer though. I'll keep you updated.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

The FLASH BIOS has led to so many failed downloads and unrecoverable by the user.  A disassembly would allow you to pull the CMOS and Flash batteries. Some mfgrs will hide extended charge capacitors under the flash chip requiring the removal of the chip itself.  Toshiba tries to make it as hard as possible to correct this problem.  FLASHing the BIOS has also become a trick used by hackers to secure BOT units.  Factory resets along with removing the battery and sometimes moving a jumper berg to short things out and get the FLASH chip cleared and ready for a new BIOS load from the firmware  BIOS chip that can't be modified.  Toshiba sometimes breaks down their battery packs into two or three spaces as space allows.

#7 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

The FLASH BIOS has led to so many failed downloads and unrecoverable by the user.  A disassembly would allow you to pull the CMOS and Flash batteries. Some mfgrs will hide extended charge capacitors under the flash chip requiring the removal of the chip itself.  Toshiba tries to make it as hard as possible to correct this problem.  FLASHing the BIOS has also become a trick used by hackers to secure BOT units.  Factory resets along with removing the battery and sometimes moving a jumper berg to short things out and get the FLASH chip cleared and ready for a new BIOS load from the firmware  BIOS chip that can't be modified.  Toshiba sometimes breaks down their battery packs into two or three spaces as space allows.

With how Toshiba built this computer they give you a small access window where you can pull the RAM and CMOS battery but they make it virtually impossible to take the rest of the computer apart to get to wherever the jumpers are. I removed every screw out of the back and couldn't remove the plastic backing without fear of breaking the casing or cutting up my fingers. I have no idea what to do with it right now other than maybe use it as a door stop. I still do need to try what JohnC recommended above but I think that's my last hope.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

The top and bottom half are held together (after the srews are removed) with clips in the case edge.  I use a plastic wdge to seperate the halves.  Any metal will carge the edges and leave sharp points.  Start at one edge until you can pry one corner loose and slide the wedge into and along the seperation.

#9 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

The top and bottom half are held together (after the srews are removed) with clips in the case edge.  I use a plastic wdge to seperate the halves.  Any metal will carge the edges and leave sharp points.  Start at one edge until you can pry one corner loose and slide the wedge into and along the seperation.

Thanks, I'll give it another go tomorrow and keep everyone updated on the situation.

#10 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

I finally had an opportunity to give this a try and unfortunately with no success. The computer doesn't boot long enough to run the disk drive. :(

#11 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

Well, with all of my failed attempts to bring my computer back to life without having to make a expensive purchase I have decided I'm just going to replace the motherboard. Now, this is a Toshiba all-in-one computer (LX815 to be exact) and I'm not very enlightened on hardware. Are all ddr3 motherboards universal? Or would I need to get a specific one for my computer? If so, any recommendations? Preferably nothing over $200.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

That computer is so specialized, I would check out what the motherboard looks like. It may be safer to buy direct from Toshiba. Were you able to find out how to disassemble it?

Try the following. In the BIOS file you downloaded from Toshiba you will see a file name with a .fd extension. Rename it to BIOS.fd. Copy that file to a flash drive. Attach the flash drive to the computer.  Hold the Windows + B key. Power on the computer. Wait for the LED of the flash drive to start flashing. Release the keys. Hopefully this will reflash the BIOS.

https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/insyde-bios-recovery/

#13 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

That computer is so specialized, I would check out what the motherboard looks like. It may be safer to buy direct from Toshiba. Were you able to find out how to disassemble it?

Try the following. In the BIOS file you downloaded from Toshiba you will see a file name with a .fd extension. Rename it to BIOS.fd. Copy that file to a flash drive. Attach the flash drive to the computer.  Hold the Windows + B key. Power on the computer. Wait for the LED of the flash drive to start flashing. Release the keys. Hopefully this will reflash the BIOS.

https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/insyde-bios-recovery/

I was able to disassemble it, the motherboard had a sticker that said Insyde H20. Tried doing a quick search and came up with nothing. I will try your suggestion when I get home but my keyboard is backlit when it's connected and I don't think the computer boots up enough to connect the keyboard because it doesn't light up. :(

I also tried searching on their website for motherboard replacements and couldn't find anything.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hopefully the flashdrive BIOS option will work for you. Personally, I try to stay away from the all-one-computers. They can be a nightmare to work on. Because you have an OEM computer, you would need to replace the motherboard with an exact copy or you will have problems activating the OS.

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

Most of the problems with the OS and the new hardware will be painless if you have the original disk, making a "repair" possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users