Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo IdeaPad z565 wont boot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jushcomb68

jushcomb68

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hello, I need any help I can get.  I we hvae a Lenovo IdeaPad that suddenly wont boot up.  Was told there was a pop up warning about a battery that needed replaced, but unclear on WHICH battery.  When power button is pressed, the fan starts, runs for 3 seconds and shuts off.  The touchkey lights all light for a second then go out, except fo the volume touchkey.  No sound of spin up on HDD, no flicker on screen.  Have removed battery and tried to start on cord, with same result.  Cord tested good, with a clean 20.6 V  Have heard that dead/faulty CMOS battery can stop some laptops from starting, but unclear on where it is, or even a real possibility.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

I have heard that same rumour about the CMOS battery, but I've never seen a real live case, so I'm not so sure that it is true.

Your symptoms are indicative of a blown motherboard, but there is one more thing to try before concluding that.

Unplug the machine, remove the battery, then hold the power button depressed for at least 30 seconds, longer if your finger can stand it.

Then plug in and try to boot up.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 jushcomb68

jushcomb68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

Thank you for your response. Have tried that with no result.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:22 AM

Well, seeing as how you have no more recourse but to say bye bye to that machine (unless you're the type of person who can find a new mobo on eBay and install it), then you might want to take one last shot, based on those rumours of a damaged CMOS battery causing this type of problem.

What would you have to lose?

Are you handy with tools and a bit tech savvy?

All is well in Paradise.

#5 jushcomb68

jushcomb68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

I am pretty tech savvy.  Have done most of my own repairs on my old tower, and have taken fans and heat syncs out for cleaning etc.  Not afraid of it anyhow.   This know-how count?

Edited by jushcomb68, 05 October 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

When you did the powercycle as advised by old rocker rockysosua (Sorry about that rockysosua), did you leave the main battery out and try to boot with only the power adapter attached?  Here is the Service Manual for your reference.

I have had this problem with an old battery and the computer not powering on but the powercycle without the main battery would bring it back.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 October 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hi

Here is the link for Lenovo IdeaPad z565 manuals: http://www.manualslib.com/products/Lenovo-Ideapad-Z565-1917834.html

Lots of luck and Please keep BC posted

#8 jushcomb68

jushcomb68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

I was not here, It was my girlfriend who tried this.  She removed battery, and power cord.  Held button down for 45 seconds.  She tried both rebooting with and without the battery, but not sure which order. 

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

It may be worth trying one more time.

And yes, you're plenty tech savvy to go in there, looking for that CMOS battery.

All is well in Paradise.

#10 jushcomb68

jushcomb68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

Okay, have the laptop in advanced state of disassemly.  Found the CMOS battery on the top of the MOBO under the left wrist rest.  Ran a test meter on it and pulled 3.6V so I am guessing the MOBO decided to crash on it.  Heh, at this point I think I am about six screws short of having the blasted MOBO out of the chassis.  Guess I'll start pricing one out.  This laptop is only 3 1/2 years old, but lived it's first year in a pretty harsh enviroment.  (bakery).  I have found a fair amount of flour dust inside and definitely in need of a can 0' air.   Thanks for your replies.  Am hoping this is the issue.

Edited by jushcomb68, 05 October 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

I assume that means that you've tested it with and without the CMOS battery, and no go?

Before looking for a new mobo, there are a few aspects to look at to be sure that it's financially logical.

For instance, how good is your battery?

Is your keyboard still in excellent shape?

Have you used this machine a lot, perhaps enough for the hard drive to be a bit worn out, and talking about hard drives, is the one you have, big enough for your needs?

Those are the basic criteria I go over, with clients who bring me their broken laptops with blown motherboards, to determine if it is wise to replace the mobo or the whole machine.

All is well in Paradise.

#12 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

When I had the shop I dealt with Discount Electronics many many times and I highly recommend them.

They are in Texas and will ship anywhere.

They have a board listed for your machine: http://www.discountelectronics.com/product?product_id=18683&product_model=2644 I would call first to make sure it is in stock but previous experience has been, if they show it, they have it and if not, the page is marked as so.

Lots of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#13 jushcomb68

jushcomb68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

I wont put too much money into it.  There are a few photos and movies of family, etc. on it.  I know that HDD's can have data saved from them other ways as well.  I have found a motherboard on ebay for 50, or can get one from the site listed above for 150. Not sure which way I'll go yet.  As for whether or not I tested the board with the battery out, no I haven't.  It is soldered in place.  I just assumed since it is at its rated voltage, that its in good shape.

#14 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

I've never seen a laptop battery soldered in.

Usually they have a wire harness that leds to a connector on the board.

I'll give you some opinions and you can do what you will with them.

Buying mobos from eBay seems very risky to me.

I'd be more likely to buy that model like yours, selling for $100, assuming that it is listed as functional.

The new $150 board gives you a lot more assurance that it will work. Bear in mind that replacing laptop motherboards is tricky and if it doesn't work at first, you can have a higher level of confidence when it's a new board. Also, older boards get brittle and they are sensitive to being bent or twisted as you seek to manoeuver them into difficult spots.

Financially speaking, I find it difficult to spend $150 on a laptop mobo, unless it's a really high end machine that was worth over $1k when it was new.

If you spend $97 more, you can get a new laptop with a newer system with new capabilities with a new 4 hour battery, new keyboard and new hard drivve.

At $375 (minus the $150 for mobo), you can get a slick aluminum built Asus Ultrabook (I sell a lot of these) that has more power than your original machine, 4 hour battery, 4 gigs of ram, 500 gig hard drive, great webcam, very good sound, and one of the handsomest machines around.

It's worth taking the time to think about your next move.

Whatever you do is good, as only you know what's best for you.

Avoiding the worry about buying sensitive parts like mobos, new or used, then the installation time and the stress that comes with it not working properly the first time, or maybe not at all, has a certain intrinsic value, if you can avoid it.

Even I avoid those jobs as much as possible.

You never know for sure if the mobo is good, as there's no way of testing it and if it doesn't work at the end of the day, I know my clients are thinking that I did something wrong.

Lastly, you can buy one of these USB to SATA adapters for getting the data off your old hard drive, for $3.43.

All is well in Paradise.

#15 jushcomb68

jushcomb68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:10 PM

Thank you rockysosua for you input.  Thank you to everyone actually who replied to this.  We have come to the conclusion that yes, this machine is not worth what would have to go into it to replace the mobo.  I paid 345.00 for it a little over 3 years ago and it has been used a lot.  I don't know how much time is left on much of the hardware, or battery.  The battery I was referring to being solderd in was the CMOS battery by the way, not the power supply.  We are looking into each getting  tablets anyhow, and a more high end laptop down the road a little bit. I am a heavy flight simming buff and would like a good graphics heavy machine.  Getting the info off of the HDD sounds easy enough, THANKS for that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users