Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Malware seems to have turned off my computer and will not let it start.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BrianKoop

BrianKoop

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

On Sept. 19, 2014, I opened an email and soon discovered that it was bearing malware.  About one day later, I ran Spybot Search & Destroy, which indicated my computer was infected by a keylogger, spyware, and the Bladabindi malware, all having date-stamps of Sept. 17, 2014.  I was not sure that I had eradicated malware from my computer, so yesterday I decided to download Microsoft Security Essentials, which I read was effective at combating this malware family.  As I was starting the download, a pop-up that identified itself as Microsoft asked something like, Would I please allow Microsoft to gain access to information from my computer to help it guide me through the process.  I now feel like an idiot, because I clicked yes, and my computer instantaneously turned off.  Not just a black screen.  The power shut off, and I have been unable to turn it back on ever since. Dead as a doorknob.  The machine will not turn on.  Just to be sure I was not merely out of power, Iplugged its power cord into a plug that I know works fine; it has been plugged in for hours by now, and still it will not turn on.

I have had computers for 20 years, but I have never experienced anything like this.  I contacted a Microsoft security tech support guy, who claims that it is not possible for a virus to turn off the power to a computer, and therefore the problem must be my hardware, and it is merely a coincidence that the computer shut down and became inoperable the instant after I clicked on that pop-up.

I read that the Bladabindi viruses may contain means of fighting anti-malware that is designed to eradicate it.  I am wondering if this is what happened.  I finally started to download an anti-malware program that would destroy it -- and it defended itself by tricking me into clicking on something that stopped me dead in my tracks.  But t[size=3]he Microsoft tech claimed that there have been no other reports of Bladabindi turning off infected computers.

Can you nice people please help me?  Given the other weird crap that has been happening to my computer since I opened that email on Sept. 19, and given the general good health of my Toshiba (I have had no problems with it except this), it seems extremely implausible that it is 
nothing but a coincidence that it shut down the instant after I clicked on that pop-up

What can I do to get my computer working again?

Edited by boopme, 05 October 2014 - 04:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

A very wise man one told me to never discount the possibility of more than one problem.  I'd check the power supply first, then move on to the malware problem.

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

#3 BrianKoop

BrianKoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

I did two things to test the power supply:

1.  I plugged in the computer's power cord into my wife's Toshiba computer, and the power cord powered her computer.

2.  I plugged our my wife's power cord into my infected computer, waited a while, but no matter how many times I pressed the On button, no matter how long I depressed the On button, the computer still does not turn on. 

This leads me to conclude that the problem is not the power cord or the power source.

#4 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

You've tested the power cord but not the popwer supply.  Can you swap our the one in your wife's computer and install it in yours?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

What is the operating system?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 BrianKoop

BrianKoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

Can I remove the "power supply" from my wife's computer and put it in mine?  Is that the question?  

I am not sure what a "power supply" is.  In case it matters, I will mention that both of our computers are laptops.

#7 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:42 AM

That does matter.  I assumed when you said you switched the power cord, it was a desktop.  Sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users