Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Pavilion Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Banks

Banks

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:01 PM

Hello fellow members, :thumbsup:
Well everytime I turn my laptop on I get a black screen that says.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safemode with command prompt

Last knowns Configuration.

Start Windows Normally

Well when I click on any of these options it acts like its starting up, then this blue screen pops up for like a second that says,

stop: c0000218 { Registry File Failure }
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\system root\system32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt,absent or alternate

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance

Then it goes back to that black screen. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? For my viao All i had to push was f12 at the startup and it went to a screen where it recovered itself, this goes to this meno called BIOS, is that a way to recover the laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

For starters, when you get the boot menu, choose Last Known Good Configuration. If that doesn't help, post back.

#3 Banks

Banks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

Umm...Ive tried clicking all of them, and it acts like its loading then that blue screen pops up and it goes back to that black screen that says safe mode, last good configuration, etc...

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:59 PM

Well, I don't have good news. The damaged hive won't let you start the computer. It's not going to get better. If you have any experience at all with a DOS-like command line, you may be able to get the system functioning again. But it's tricky and takes patience. Here's one version of the fix from Kelly's Korner.

Here's more information from John Barnett. You may want to try running the chkdsk - I'd use the /f switch first. Having attempted the harder method repairs before, I can tell you that it takes quite a while to do all the typing, and you have to do it without errors.

Another option is a repair install of Windows.

Most of the solutions, except for running chkdsk, will require you to reinstall other programs because they won't work anymore after the install. (New registry, you understand.)

#5 Banks

Banks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

Whats the chkdsk? And the dos-line?

Sorry, im really bad w/ computers.

#6 Banks

Banks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

Ok I just found my SYSTEM RECOVERY CD, so i put it in and it didnt show anything indicating its in there. So how do i use the cd?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users