Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Defragmentation Problems

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

NOTE : Defraggler, will always show that your system needs attention.

I have tested / used this program on about 6 machines from XP to Windows 8, and I always get the same result.

You can run Windows Defrag program, and 2 minutes later Defraggler will say the computer needs defragging. This is because they want you to buy the Pro Version.

I have used Defraggler and 5 minutes later it will tell me it needs Defragging again.

Use the Windows version (only) now as you will get steady results and they are not trying to sell you a program.

You can use the (garbage in my opinion) IObit program and this will show the same as Defraggler, or iolo, or the many free programs to get the same result.

These are all only designed for use if the Mocrosoft version is corrupted, or if you purchase the Pro version.

Uninstall any and all 3rd party Defragers, and just set your Microsoft program to Defrag evert 1 or 2 weeks (that is plenty)...........

They are all 1000000% wrong when compared to the readings from Microsoft, and I have shown you where to find them in Post #37

ArisMFighter, you just had your computer checked in Antivirus and Spyware forum area by am Expert who said "There is nothing wrong with your computer".

Why are you looking for errors when none exist, and you will not reply to my request for, Current Updated, logs ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

When installing Defraggler,i had not enabled the option to replace windows defragmenter with defraggler.

I have ran the windows defragmenter with adminstrator rights and it is telling me that my drivers are not fragmented but i am 100000000% sure that my drive is fragmented and it has very very little storage.The other defragmenters say that my drive is almost 17% fragmented.

I don't think that i have system image backups.

I will delete the system restore points and tell you how it is going.

Thanks

The trick of enabling the option to replace Windows defrag, quitting Defraggler, restarting Defraggler and disabling that option was a trick that someone had to use for Defraggler to exclude restore point files from being seen by Defraggler and thus included in Defraggler's fragmentation % report. If excluding restore points in Defraggler (Settings | Options | Advanced | Use custom fragmentation settings | Define) doesn't work, then try that trick.

Since I have System Restore disabled on all my drives, my problem with Defraggler seems to have been caused by having System Image Backups on my drives. However, your similar problem with Defraggler may have been caused by having System Restore enabled. As Willy22 mentions above...

'Defraggler has an option "Stop VSS ....... ". (Settings > Options > Advanced > .....). Tick it and rerun Defraggler. Perhaps then Defraggler won't increase the amount of used free space. The Service VSS is used for creating, among others, those System Restore Points !!!!'

So, if you both exclude restore points and stop vss , you may be able to use Defraggler with no further problems of it causing Windows to eat up your drive space by creating unneeded restore points and also reporting that your drives are fragmented due to it including restore points in its report on your drives. I have done all of the things above, but I haven't yet enabled System Restore or made another System Image Backup to test if that fixes my problem with Defraggler. As for the unneeded restore points, those should be the ones that correspond to a Defraggler usage, so you may not need to delete all of your restore points.

With respect to your being sure that your drives are fragmented, if your problem was like mine, the fragmentation is probably almost entirely due to fragmented restore points. You can check that by first analyzing the fragmented drive in Defraggler, then left-clicking on a red-colored square. If you see many  "\System Volume Information" folder addresses in the "file list" of the red squares, then System Restore is your main culprit for Defraggler reporting high fragmentation.

That being said, and if I understand correctly, it is no great hindrance on normal, daily-use drive performance for restore points to be fragmented, because your system really only needs to read them when a restore is needed. So, it seems to me that it is actually not a big problem for restore points to be fragmented, and it is not worth the system resources and wear and tear on your drive to defragment them. So, you would probably be better off ignoring what Defraggler and other defraggers report for frag % and just accept what Windows defrag reports if you can't get your other defrag programs to ignore restore points.

#48 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

So, if you both exclude restore points and stop vss , you may be able to use Defraggler with no further problems

If you only use the Free version of Defraggler program, it can be used as an "Extra" Add-on only.

The Pro Version can be used as a "Scheduled Program" to replace other versions, but if ArisMFighter will not understand this, we may as well forget this topic ...........

#49 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

Hello.

noknojon i know that other defragmenter than the windows original usually and always show wrong fragmentation rate but my system had very less storage and windows defragmenter showed me that it was 0% fragmented while it was lost about 10 GB storage my hdd..and that's the reason i do not trust the windows defragmenter.I delete all my system restore points and do a defrag with Piriform's Defraggler.It succesfully defraged my system.It didn't free up much storage,but the good is that it didn't fragment my system more than it was like before.So my problems may has been solved.

But after i had used the program Windows Repair All-In-One suggested by buddy215,i noticed that the roguekiller program doesn't work and i get a blue screen with the error:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Does somebody know something about this?

Thank you very much :spider !!!!

The Pro Version can be used as a "Scheduled Program" to replace other versions, but if ArisMFighter will not understand this, we may as well forget this topic ...........

I have the Pro Version.It is good to help others..because when you do it you feel happy and because when you have a problem they will come back to help you as you did to them.

Anyone wants to help,can help.Also if someone don't want...he can as well forget this topic...

Edited by ArisMFighter, 13 October 2014 - 03:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users