Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Defragmentation Problems

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

- Can you see which files don't get defragmented ? (With Piriform's Defraggler). Are these files (predominantly) part of the System Restore Points in the "C:\System Volume Information" folder(s) ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:34 AM

Hello.

It seems that i am not the only person that has this problem..

I found this topic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/problems-with-defragmentation/d8da878b-4f44-4660-9af2-be1df3f4b73e. The only difference is that this problem was on a windows vista computer(i have heard lots of similar problems on windows vista).

Also yes..with Piriform's Defraggler in the fragmented files list i see the "C:\System Volume Information" folder..

And i forgot to tell that after running the program suggested by buddy215,in the windows built-in defragmenter in the list of hard drives, i see a new "hard drive" with the name---> \\?Volume(828bd0d.. (something like this and was 13% fragmented.This hard drive appears after running the program "Windows Repair All-In-One".

I think that we are closer to solve this issue.

Please excuse my Eglish in same cases.

Thank you very much.

#33 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:10 AM

Download Screen317 Security Check from Here or Here and save it to your Desktop.
 * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
 * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
 * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
 * Please Copy/Paste the contents of that document.
NOTE 1:: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to
NOTE.2 If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message, restart computer and Security Check should run

You have been asked to run these programs several times, but you have never posted a log back (I do not think you have used them)

Please download and run RKill by Grinler.

• A black DOS box will appear for a short time and then disappear.
  • This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • At most the tool will usually run for about 2 minutes

Please Copy and Paste the log back here.

Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

NOW :

• Download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
     * Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button (only once)
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button only once for accuracy.
  • A report (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for your review.
  • Check the listed removals and see if you are OK with them.
  • If you have questions, post the Report log back here.

Next

• Click on the Clean button only once for accuracy
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK finally to allow AdwCleaner to Restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a log report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
    Copy and Paste the contents of that log in your next reply.

Note: With most Adware / Junkware / PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes the adware more effectively, but it also restores any changed configuration. After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like AdwCleaner and JRT to fix any remaining entries they may find.

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

Now go to Defragmenter and try to run it .......................... There seems no reason why it will not run.

From Windows 7 onwards Defragmenter has always been an automatic program.

#34 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

You have been asked to run these programs several times, but you have never posted a log back (I do not think you have used them)

What??

I have not been asked to run this programs in this topic.And in other topics in the past i have quickly posted back all the logs that were asked.

Maybe you don't remember.

Also i have not malware,PUPs,adware etc. in my system and i have done a lot of scans with JRT,AdwCleaner,MBAM etc.

It seems that you do not have understand my problem.

My problem is not that i cannot run defragmenter.Is that with every defragmenter i use my system gets more fragmented instead of defragmented.

Thanks for your help.

#35 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

- That extra "drive" is a "virtual drive" created by the program "Windows Repair". As a result of using that program the computer performs a number of tasks with a low priority and those tasks keep running for a while after one has closed "Windows Repair". But that extra drive will disappear as soon as "the computer is finished with those background tasks.

- What's the amount of free disk space on your harddisk ?

- Do you run the defragmentation program with Administrator rights ? If not, then I could imagine Windows won't allow you to defragment those files. Windows 8 is very picky when it comes to the privileges.

Edited by Willy22, 10 October 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#36 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

I have windows 8.1

Before running the "windows repair" i upgraded to windows 8.1 because i thought that an upgrade will not be a problem.

My free storage is 363 GB but my hard disk is very fragmented.

Do you run the defragmentation program with Administrator rights ? If not, then I could imagine Windows won't allow you to defragment those files. Windows 8 is very picky when it comes to the privileges.

I ran the windows built-in defragmenter.I do not know if i ran it with adminstrator rights,i ran it normally.I right click in my hdd >tools>optimize.

Edited by ArisMFighter, 10 October 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#37 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

I ran the windows built-in defragmenter.I do not know if i ran it with adminstrator rights,i ran it normally.

Since you will not follow any other directions left for you then use this Very Simple method.

Go - Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Defragment and Optimize Drives ....................

This will list your drives and if any need Defragmenting

Can you understand and follow this direction ??? What do you see there ???

Edited by noknojon, 10 October 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#38 Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:06 AM

Hello.

It seems that i am not the only person that has this problem..

I found this topic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/problems-with-defragmentation/d8da878b-4f44-4660-9af2-be1df3f4b73e. The only difference is that this problem was on a windows vista computer(i have heard lots of similar problems on windows vista).

Also yes..with Piriform's Defraggler in the fragmented files list i see the "C:\System Volume Information" folder..

And i forgot to tell that after running the program suggested by buddy215,in the windows built-in defragmenter in the list of hard drives, i see a new "hard drive" with the name---> \\?Volume(828bd0d.. (something like this and was 13% fragmented.This hard drive appears after running the program "Windows Repair All-In-One".

I think that we are closer to solve this issue.

Please excuse my Eglish in same cases.

Thank you very much.

Hi, your English is perfectly understandable. I've been having the same problems you've had and that are listed in your link: slow defragmenting, increased fragmentation after a defrag and losing free drive space during defragging. This happened on two different data storage partitions on two separate hard disk drives for me. The commonality between the two partitions that would not defrag and were losing large chunks of free drive space was that they each had a "System Image Backup" on them, and I tried to defrag them with "Defraggler" at some time or another since I put the system image backups on the two data partitions.

It turns out that all of the free space that I was losing was going into a "\System Volume Information" folder on each partition. The "\System Volume Information" folder is where Windows (I'm running Windows 8.1) stores System Restore files. So, as near as I can tell, there is a glitch with Defraggler defragging a drive that has a System Image Backup on it that causes Windows 8.1 to interpret that as a change to my data and then make huge restore points (as large as 85GB on my larger data drive: System Restore writing 10's of GB of data during a defrag does tend to slow the defrag a bit too). Defraggler was not able to defrag them without Administrator's privileges, so those newly created, large, fragmented System Restore data files caused those partitions to be reported as being anywhere from 6-15% fragmented after a defrag. The curious thing is that I have System Restore turned off on all of my drives, so I have no idea why any System Restore files were being written at all. Regular Windows 8.1 defrag software wouldn't defrag them either, BTW.

The solution that I used (this may not be the only solution) to get Defraggler to stop causing Windows to write System Restore points during a defrag was to delete the System Image Backup folders on each of the two partitions (requires Administrator privileges). After that, the System Restore points disappeared during a following defrag on my smaller data partition, and I recovered the 40 GB of missing free space without any further action. However, on my larger data partition I had to go into 'Control panel|Recovery|Configure System Restore|System Protection tab|Configure button' and delete the restore data there (85 GB worth- let me remind you that all my drives showed System Restore set to "OFF," so as far as I understand, there shouldn't have been any data to delete in System Restore). While I was there, I checked to make sure that all "Current Usage" for all partitions was at "0 bytes," and that "Max Usage" was set as low as it would go so that, if this problem occurs again, it won't eat up so much drive space and time writing huge System Restore files.

Also, I found a thread on the Piriform site that describes a solution to what sounds like at least part of the problem we've been having with respect to Defraggler showing "System Volume Information" when it shouldn't- post #18 and 20 of that thread ( http://forum.piriform.com/?showtopic=38496 )

post #18...

"Just posting an update to let everyone know that I had the same problem when I upgraded to Defraggler v. 2.15.741. I performed a clean install and disabled (unchecked) the option to Replace Windows Disk Defragmenter during the installation process. Multiple disk analyses with Defraggler incorrectly reported that my disk was 33% fragmented and all my system restore points appeared in the fragmented files list (see .jpg), despite the fact that the option to Exclude restore point files (Settings | Options | Advanced | Use custom fragmentation settings | Define) was enabled.

gif.gif  Defraggler 2_15_741 High Fragmentation 18 Jul 2013.jpg   93.41KB   4 downloads

Same fix as with v. 2.14.706 - I enabled the Replace Windows Disk Defragmenter option (Settings | Options | Advanced) and the next disk analysis correctly showed 1% disk fragmentation and the system restore points had disappeared from the fragmented file list. I then restarted Defraggler and disabled the Replace Windows Disk Defragmenter option (again) and everything works correctly - I'm back to 1% disk fragmentation with Replace Windows Disk Defragmenter disabled.

I still don't know if this fix would work for anyone else, but at least it's consistent on my system"

I haven't tried the above solution yet, but I want to keep System Image Backups on those data drives and not have to worry about this problem with Defraggler in the future, so this seems to be worth a shot. If it doesn't work for me I'll just have to be content with using Windows defrag (as Administrator if necessary). Hope something here helps.

Edited by Hugh Jazz, 11 October 2014 - 06:42 AM.

#39 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

Go - Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Defragment and Optimize Drives ....................

Yes.The drive was fragmented.It said that it was fragmented.I ran a defrag and then my drive got more fragmented than it was.

#40 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

Hello Hugh Jazz.

I have this problems with every defragmenter i use.

Also i have lots of system restore points that i had made in the past.

Also as i said before in the topic i have updated my drivers with SlimDrivers.Always SlimDrivers make system restore points and create backups of drivers before install/update drivers.

It seems that if i delete all my restore points and backups the problem will be solved right?

#41 Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hello Hugh Jazz.

I have this problems with every defragmenter i use.

Also i have lots of system restore points that i had made in the past.

Also as i said before in the topic i have updated my drivers with SlimDrivers.Always SlimDrivers make system restore points and create backups of drivers before install/update drivers.

It seems that if i delete all my restore points and backups the problem will be solved right?

If I understand correctly, your system restore points are the culprit in showing that your drives are still fragmented. You can either delete the restore points, run Windows Defrag as Administrator (as noknojon suggested) or figure out how to exclude restore points from being included in your disk fragmentation % level report. The "post #18" in my post describes how to exclude system restore points for Defraggler. Maybe Defraggler is marking the System Restore points in some way that affects other defraggers to include system restore in the Fragmentation % report on your drives? I think that the safest bets are to follow the instructions in "post #18" listed in my post or run Windows defrag as Administrator (never tried running Windows defrag as administrator myself, so I couldn't tell you if that works).

Also, I take it that you have system restore turned on for the problem drives and do not have any System Image Backups on your problem drives? If that is the case, our problems may be related in symptoms, but not identical in cause. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with my system writing restore points when I have it turned off for all drives. The symptoms of our problems sounded close enough that I thought I'd chime in with my experience to see if there was any overlap.

ps. I'm a little too tired and groggy right now to be trouble shooting, so I think that I will get some sleep and see what the techies say in a few hours.

#42 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

Yes.The drive was fragmented.It said that it was fragmented.I ran a defrag and then my drive got more fragmented than it was.

Which drive and how much Fragmented.

The hard drives drives should set to Automatically Defrag every week..............

#43 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:10 AM

When installing Defraggler,i had not enabled the option to replace windows defragmenter with defraggler.

I have ran the windows defragmenter with adminstrator rights and it is telling me that my drivers are not fragmented but i am 100000000% sure that my drive is fragmented and it has very very little storage.The other defragmenters say that my drive is almost 17% fragmented.

I don't think that i have system image backups.

I will delete the system restore points and tell you how it is going.

Thanks

Edited by ArisMFighter, 11 October 2014 - 08:11 AM.

#44 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

I have ran the windows defragmenter with adminstrator rights and it is telling me that my drivers are not fragmented but i am 100000000% sure that my drive is fragmented and it has very very little storage.

The other defragmenters say that my drive is almost 17% fragmented.

Why will you not read the area that you are being asked to read ??

Since you will not follow any other directions left for you then use this Very Simple method.

I am telling you now that "the other" non-Microsoft programs will always "100000000%" give you the wrong readings, as they want to sell you their programs, only ......

Can you understand and follow this direction ???  What do you see there ???  Why will you not answer this question ???

Why do you want to remove all of the Restore Points when you may not have any problem ??

I am asking you again to help us to fix your problem or you may cause more damage to your computer .............

Can you Please download MiniToolBox  to desktop to run it.
 Checkmark the following boxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click Go and Copy / Paste the result. (result.txt)

Please post a New Current snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<= Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

If you will not allow us to help you, we may as well close this topic..............

Thank You ...........

#45 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

- I am not familiar with other defragmentation programs but one can't defrag the System Restore Points with Defraggler. I suppose other programs have the same problem. Defraggler - at least - shows which files/folders are fragmented.

- Defraggler has an option "Stop VSS ....... ". (Settings > Options > Advanced > .....). Tick it and rerun Defraggler. Perhaps then Defraggler won't increase the amount of used free space. The Service VSS is used for creating, among others, those System Restore Points !!!!

Edited by Willy22, 11 October 2014 - 05:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users