Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Defragmentation Problems

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

I recall from a few years back that the Windows defragmenter rearranges files differently than other defragmenters.

That may be what is happening here.

Suggest you check to see if Windows Automatic Defragmenter is scheduled to run or not in the Task Scheduler.

1. Open Task Scheduler by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Task Scheduler. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

I have the same problem on my other computer which is running windows 7 home premium SP1.

That pretty much guarantees that it's something you have installed on both machines.

All is well in Paradise.

#18 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

I recall from a few years back that the Windows defragmenter rearranges files differently than other defragmenters.

That may be what is happening here.

Suggest you check to see if Windows Automatic Defragmenter is scheduled to run or not in the Task Scheduler.

1. Open Task Scheduler by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Task Scheduler.‌ 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

I disabled the windows automatic defragmenter yesterday.What to do ?

Enable it?

That pretty much guarantees that it's something you have installed on both machines.

What software i have install in my windows 8 and windows 7 i have install also in my old windows xp.But windows xp has not that problem,so i do not think that there is a software that cause the problem.

Also my computer is malware-free.

Edited by ArisMFighter, 05 October 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#19 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

XP might not react to it in the same way.

I've been fixing computers for a long long time and I've never heard of the problem you have and you have it on two of your machines.

For sure, it's something you have installed on both machines, voluntarily or not..There's just no two ways about it.

All is well in Paradise.

#20 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

If it is a hardware problem?

#21 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

So you disabled Windows defragmenter yesterday. I suggest you stop using other defragmenters. Just reenable

the Windows one and be done with it.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#22 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

On both machines at the same time?

A hardware problem that I've never heard of?

I don't think so.

I'm not trying to impose my opinion on you.

I'm just telling it to you, like I see it.

All is well in Paradise.

#23 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

I suggest you stop using other defragmenters. Just reenable

the Windows one and be done with it.

This problem happen with every defragmenter i use.Yesterday i tried to defragment with the windows built-in defragmenter and it fragment my pc more.Then i use another defragmenter which defragment my system.I have also scan my drive for issues with various programs and one of them in its results it said: "warning" .But the others didn't detect any problem.

Edited by ArisMFighter, 05 October 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#24 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

Let's look at this mathematically.

I'm convinced that it's software that you have on both machines.

Buddie215 is prettty convinced that the slimware(?) program you are using, is less than ideal, and you have it on both machines.

To me, that adds up to removing it. It's not as if you can't reinstall it later on.

The caveat is that it's possible that removing it won't fix your problem, if it has caused permanent damage.

Anyhow, it's certainly worth a try, isn't it?

All is well in Paradise.

#25 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

I have it also in windows xp but no problem in  xp.

#26 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

As I mentioned before,

XP might not react to it in the same way.

All is well in Paradise.

#27 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

the windows 7 has this problem long time ago.The windows 8 i think before one month or less.

#28 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

Because  i was not available to try the steps above.I will try the program recommended by buddy215.After that i will remove any slimware product that i have on my system and i will notify you of any changes that have been on my system.

#29 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

I had installed windows-repair-all-in-one.I ran the fixes and after i ran the repairs.It took almost 3 hours.But this program caused problems to my antivirus.I have eset smart security with all features enabled but the action center is saying that i have no virus protection and and when i go to the action center it prompts me to enable windows defender..while eset is enabled and protecting me...

I will uninstall and reinstall..

#30 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

I uninstalled and reinstall ESET and is working now.My system is running better now but still my problem remains.My hdd was 4% fragmented and the free storage was 366 GB.I defraged it with the windows built-in defragmenter to see if the program has fixed my problem  but instead of be defragmented my hdd is more fragmented and now 363 GB are free.

What is my next step?

Can you help me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users