Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Defragmentation Problems

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:26 AM

Hello.I am using Windows 8.I have a problem.When my hard disk drive © or (D) is fragmented and i try to defragment it with the windows built-in defragmenter and also with other defragmenters,my hard disk driver instead of be defragmented and optimized,it becomes more fragmented.This thing always happen when i try to defragment my © or (D) hard disk drives.I do not remember when this problem starts..Is this problem caused because of the driver updates i had install with the "SlimDrivers".Is this a software or hardware problem?

Can someone help me?

Many Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:34 AM

Slim Drivers is not a program I would use or deem necessary. It does attempt to install adware. Don't know if you 

were offered the chance to opt out or not.

As to whether that program is the problem or not....who knows?

Check in your Device Manager for info on missing or damaged drivers.

If you know the manufacturer of the hdd, I suggest you use their tool to test your hdd.

EDIT:  It is a disk drive and not a SSD...correct? What size in GB is the drive?

You can run the programs below to find malware/ adware.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

• Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • If potential threats are detected, ensure that Quarantine is selected as the Action for all the listed items, and click the Apply Actions button.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

POST THE LOG FOR REVIEW.

download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete.
Confirm each time with Ok.
You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

• download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

Edited by buddy215, 05 October 2014 - 05:37 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hi.I have ran lots of scans the last days with HitmanPro,MBAM,AdwCleaner,JRT and nothing was found.

Also SlimDrivers has never notified be to decide about installation of any other third-party program.

I know that such programs are and installs PUPs and adware but i trust SlimDrivers and i think that it is not like them.

But until now it has not installed any third-part software or adware in my 3 computers.

Check in your Device Manager for info on missing or damaged drivers.

Where is this?

It is a disk drive and not a SSD...correct? What size in GB is the drive?

I do not know what the SSD is,but my drive maximum storage is 425 GB and 370 GB are now free.

Thanks.

Edited by ArisMFighter, 05 October 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

An SSD is a Solid State Drive. They are common in PC's, for their phenomenal speed.

The easiest way to get to the Device Manager is just open your search feature and type in "device manager".

All is well in Paradise.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

To take your queries in reverse order :  an SSD is a Solid State Drive which is a hard drive with no moving parts and the memory is composed of an array of flash memory chips. A HDD is a traditional Hard Disk Drive where the memory is composed of a number of spinning platters with a form of iron oxide (hence you will see sarcastic references to 'spinning rust') as the storage medium. SSDs are very fast but still relatively expensivem HDDs are quite a lot slower but quite cheap.

Device manager - you need to get to 'Control panel' first to find it. If you are at your desk top in Win 8, press the Windows key and 'x'. This will open a menu in which you will see 'Control panel'. If you are looking at the tiled screen, then go to the top right corner until the 'Charms' appear and type 'Control' into the search box, then select 'Control panel'.

Whichever way you get to 'Control panel', click on 'System'. In the screen that opens, in the top left corner, you will see a list with 'Device manager' at the top. Click on this and you will be there. It lists all the devices and hardware on or attached to your computer and highlights any which have faults.

One final point - if you do have an SSD installed in your computer, you do NOT de-frag it.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

SSD...Solid State Drive...no moving parts...similar to a flash drive. Those you don't defragment. That's why I asked.

Suggest running the fixes in the program below. Especially the one in Step #4.

Windows Repair (All In One) Download

Access Device Manager - How Do I Access Device Manager in Windows?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

Thanks to all.My hard disk driver is ST500LT012-9WS142.I also searched the google but can't find if it is SSD or hdd.I searched in device manager and still can't find if my driver is ssd or hdd.Any help?

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

You have an hdd.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

Did you see a yellow exclamation points while in the Device Manager?

A yellow exclamation point next to a device in Device Manager means that Windows has identified a problem of some kind with that device.

Edited by buddy215, 05 October 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#10 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

I don't see any exclamation.And in Device Manger in the device status it says "This device is working properly."

Edited by ArisMFighter, 05 October 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:41 AM

Suggest running the fixes in the program below. Especially the one in Step #4.

Windows Repair (All In One) Download

#12 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

Do you know if this is a hardware or software problem?

What do you think??

And are you sure that this program will not make any damage to my operating system if  i use it ??

Edited by ArisMFighter, 05 October 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#13 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

If it were happenig to me, I'd assume that my hard drive was defective.

I'd do a diskcheck, just in case it could be fixed, but if that didn't do it, I'd be changing that drive.

That being said, I don't know what all you've done do that machine, good or bad, but I've never even heard of your issue, much less seen a case like yours.

As long as your data is backed up, you don't have much to lose by trying out the software being suggested to you.

If you had to guess how long this has been going on, what would it be?

BTW: How do you go about finding out that your hard drive gets more fragmented by defragging? An after market defrag program?

All is well in Paradise.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Windows Repair has been suggested here and run by a ton of users. I have no recollection of it causing damage.

Concerning Slim Drivers....that program constantly runs in the background, reports whatever and automatically

installs drivers it thinks is needed. That is a waste of computer resources and I would be very reluctant to use such

a program to install drivers especially when no problem exists and the rarity of need to replace drivers.

Just my two cents.....

#15 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

f it were happenig to me, I'd assume that my hard drive was defective.

I'd do a diskcheck, just in case it could be fixed, but if that didn't do it, I'd be changing that drive.

That being said, I don't know what all you've done do that machine, good or bad, but I've never even heard of your issue, much less seen a case like yours.

As long as your data is backed up, you don't have much to lose by trying out the software being suggested to you.

If you had to guess how long this has been going on, what would it be?

BTW: How do you go about finding out that your hard drive gets more fragmented by defragging? An after market defrag program?

I have this computer almost 8 months.I do not remember when it starts.

I have the same problem on my other computer which is running windows 7 home premium SP1.

This is very strange.

Windows Repair has been suggested here and run by a ton of users. I have no recollection of it causing damage.

Concerning Slim Drivers....that program constantly runs in the background, reports whatever and automatically

installs drivers it thinks is needed. That is a waste of computer resources and I would be very reluctant to use such

a program to install drivers especially when no problem exists and the rarity of need to replace drivers.

Just my two cents.....

I had disabled it from running in the background from the first time i had installed it.

I will try the program and tell you how it is going.

Thanks all of you for your time.

Edited by ArisMFighter, 05 October 2014 - 01:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users