Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should i buy this or build my own?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Roblox

Roblox

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

Hi i am thinking of buying this:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechblacknti128.html

Would it be cheaper to buy that or build my own with the same parts?

I have never built a PC before though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:14 AM

Build your own. I just checked, it doesn't give you specifics on what motherboard brand, or RAM that they use. A lot of these builds are relatively cheap, despite their inherent stats.

Using the same stats:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Hp7P7P

It's more expensive, but I would want to confirm what they use in Novatech. They only state things like "Nvidia GTX 780 3GB", but no clock-speeds or which brand they're using. Honestly, I would go with custom, it's custom and you're free to choose what you want.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

Personally, after building 2 gaming computers myself, and constantly upgrading my own gaming PC... I would suggest building your own.

Not only is it a great feeling to have done it yourself, but an excellent way to learn about computers.

Like the previous poster said, you have no idea what you're getting in that computer.  I would want to know what brand and what quality the parts are.

Based on the link, I am guessing you are in the UK.  I don't know how it is there, but in America we are on the verge of the Christmas shopping season.  It's an excellent time to look out for great deals on quality parts, if you're not in a big hurry.

That's how I built the first 2 gaming rigs.  Over a period of many months I picked up all the parts when I saw great deals.  Once I had everything, I just put them together.

It really isn't hard at all, and between the help available here... and the rest of the internet... you won't have to do it alone.

So anyway... if you're going to buy a computer try and find out what parts are in it. 

If you build your own, you at least have control over them.

In my opinions, that's the best reason for doing it yourself.

Edit: Now that I read through the specs, and the only review... I see most of the parts are named.

A nice computer, if the build quality is up there.  But at $1800 US I think you could get away with a better machine, for less.

Edited by TNF, 10 October 2014 - 01:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users