Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New pc build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:52 AM

I'm looking at building a new computer that will be used for things like documents, email, web, HD video streaming, audio capture and editing, and maybe some CAD and google earth type stuff.

How's this look:

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-F2A78M-D3H

case: APEX Vortex 3620

ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

apu: AMD A8-7600

hdd: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

I already have a 500 watt power supply for it, and I will throw some dvd drive in there. And a wi-fi card I still have to check to see if it fits in a slot in the motherboard listed above.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:15 AM

It looks good, but if you are wanting to do CAD, you may want to increase your memory from 4GB to 8 or 16. It will help your rendering go faster (For video and CAD rendering). You may also want to get a Graphics Card. You wont need a top of the line card, but something better than just the standard. APUs are ok for standard and basic functions, but if you plan on doing CAD or Video editing, you may want to consider it.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

Depends what CAD software and video editing software you use, and whether they support GPU integration (which they should). 

With the CPU given, I would suggest something better. The Intel equivalent is the i3 4130, which performs better, even though being more expensive. It all depends on how intensive you're going to do with video editing and CAD.

mYIGVc5.png

#4 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

Well I was looking at some benchmarks and it seems this computer could even play Skyrim.

skyrim.png

It won't be used for rendering video, or doing video editing at all, or doing 3D cad stuff - or at least, if it is it would be pretty basic 3D rendering. The most 3D I expect to be going on would be things like google earth.

I know it wouldn't play Skyrim well, but the fact that it could play skyrim playably means it should be more than enough for what I need it to be.

If I go with a slightly better intel, isn't that going to increase the price by like $150 for the better intel and the video card that I would need to get? I am hoping to go with the APU so I don't have to buy a video card.

How would this PC perform compared to say a $450 laptop? I'm assuming it will out perform it in every way right? Hopefully I am not over-estimating this computer though?

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:51 PM

I personally that the A8-7600 seems to hit a sweet spot for budget builds, having a relatively powerful on chip GPU (roughly equivalent to an R7-250 card) and a relatively powerful quad core CPU, for a low price.

An Intel Core i3-4130 is ultimately a better performing CPU, but the GPU element of it is far weaker than the AMD chip.

I would agree with a suggestion above to go for 8gb rather than 4gb.  Remember the RAM is also used by the GPU, so 4Gb could end up being more like 3Gb available for programs etc. when doing anything video intensive.  Also with these APU's, the faster the memory the better - the video performance depends on fast RAM.  If DDR3-2133 is available in your budget then it's worth having.

I don't know what a typical $450 laptop is like.  A lot of them I see seem to have mobile Celeron's or lower end AMD APU's, and no discreet graphics chip, so yes I would expect a PC of this spec to be a bit quicker than that.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

I changed the ram and case due to local availability, so now the specs are:

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-F2A78M-D3H

case: Cooler Master K280

ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600

apu: AMD A8-7600

hdd: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

I hear what you guys are saying, thanks for the advice. I like the idea of going with faster ram, but, the only way to get it is to go up to 2x4gb (they don't sell faster ram with just a single 4gb chip, and there isn't the budget to go up to 8gb. Some day it can jump from 4gigs of 1600 ram to 8 or 16 of 2133, so that's a good upgrade for some day.

EDIT: Well, perhaps I could afford these: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2133   What do you guys think between these 2 ram possibilities? Would it be a noticeable improvement?

EDIT2:

Well, those rams were not on the QVL for the motherboard, and the motherboard wasn't on the QVL for the g.skill ram.

All the 1866 ram that is on the QVL for the motherboard  (and is available for purchase around here and isn't much much more expensive than the 1600 ram)

will only run at 1600 on this motherboard/APU combo anyways.

So I'm going to go with this 1600 ram that is on the supported list, and I will go with 8 gigs instead of my original 4. (I'm not even sure if it will run at 1333 or 1600 though, but the 1333 isn't cheaper anyway.)

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

Edited by bludshot, 08 October 2014 - 09:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users