Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive SAYING IT IS NOT FORMATTED

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CrosbySWA

CrosbySWA

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:44 AM

Hi, I am using Windows 8 and using a Transcend 1TB External Hard Drive.

Until recently it has worked fine, showing in My Computer as G:Transcend.

This last day it has started showing as G: Local Disk

It has a dual head on the USB so I cannot try it on any other port and I have yet to try it on any other computer.

When I try to access it from My Computer it says that I need to format it.

Looking at the properties in Device Manager - it tells me I have the best drivers and they are all up to date and the device is working properly.

Using EaseUSDataRecovery shows me that the files are still on the drive.

I am also having virus problems but am not sure whether this is related.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:01 AM

Could be that the drive lost its partition. Unfortunately the Transcend drives tend to do that as I had 2 do the same thing to me previously. I suggest the program "GetDataBack" for NTFS. That recovery software has the ability to pull the MFT and lets you keep the file/folder structure when recovering data so you keep the same file names. EaseUS only saves the files with numbered names of what sector it was found in. So unless you plan on renaming every single file...lol. After you backup your files, you can format the drive and it should be ok, but it has the possibility of happening again. 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 CrosbySWA

CrosbySWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:39 AM

Thanks, I'll try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users