Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spanned Disk displays "failed" in disk management (broken partition table?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 staynight

staynight

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:32 AM

I upgraded from Win7 32bit to 64bit today by installing 64bit onto a new hard drive and booting into it, and when I reconnected all of my additional hard drives containing just data files, one of them wouldn't display in Computer Management.

It won't display in My Computer at all, and in disk management it displays as a spanned volume that "failed" (as shown in the image) with two partitions. The second partition, 746gb, is the same as the Missing disk shown on the bottom, as far as I can tell.

2e41e00ca1.png

I've tried everything I can do via right clicking, to no avail: reactivate disk and reactivate volume on the two failed volumes, and New Simple Volume on the unallocated space, and it just pops up a message saying "we recommend that you run chkdsk on this volume after it becomes available for use" and nothing changes.

(I did also try replacing the SATA and power cables, and using a different SATA port just in case, but it's definitely not a cable issue. No change.)

This was not initially a spanned volume at all; I'm not sure why suddenly it started displaying as one when I booted into Windows. It's a 3TB disk and only had one partition on it. Now it's displaying as two partitions, neither of which is accessible.

Google searching revealed that the partition table might have broken or become corrupt or something, but I have no idea how I can fix that. The free data recovery tools I can find online don't recognize the disk at all since I can't actually navigate to it or assign it a drive letter. I can't find any tool to just correct the partition table, and I'd really rather not delete the volumes and format since I have data on the drive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 staynight

staynight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:18 AM

Wow, okay, looks like I've resolved this after all. I tried a number of different tools, and TestDisk ended up working for me (also being one of very few tools that could see the drive at all), on the third or fourth attempt. Initially I was just getting constant read errors and it couldn't locate any files on the drive either via quick search or deeper search, just said damaged file system and read error. Then the computer froze up and I started it back up and tried TestDisk one more time just in case. And it detected all of the files so I was able to start copying them to another drive. Technology. Whatever.

Well, I'm relieved!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

FWIW:  Since I had a somewhat analogous experience with my 3TB drive...I'll guess what happened.  It all revolves around the 3TB drive.

I initially had a problem gettting the full 3TB recognized, so I used the Seagate hardware to overcome that obstacle.  What it did was it created that second partition (746GB) and I then got full use of the 3TB drive.

But...I get a warning with each boot from either Windows or Hard Disk Sentinel which tells me that the size reflected for my 3TB drive is incorrect...and it is incorrect because it's reflected on all levels as a separate drive when it's really a partition on a drive.  The warning, which I ignore, tells me that this may cause problems in the future.

I don't know what you did to get the full size of your hard drive reflected...but if you used 3d-party software...I suspect that it might have been the cause of the drive being reflected as it is in your first graphic.  And I see that Disk Management had previously reflected your second partition as a separate drive, similar to my setup.

Louis

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

Hi hamluis,

If the drive is formatted as a MBR disk instead of GPT, then  you will not have access to the full drive. Usually you cannot access that 746GB of allocated space. MBR disk don't see anything past 2TB. You can make full use of the disk by formatting as a GPT disk or converting it with Partition Wizard but at this point it may not be worth the trouble.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

Thanks, John :).

I have full access to the drive now...but (on XP) the Seagate software makes it appear as if I have 2 hard drives, rather than 1 hard drive with two partitions.  Since it's all working well and I don't really care if it shows in Windows as two drives when it's really only one...I'll leave well enough alone :).

The Seagate software I used: (Disk Wizard) is referenced Here . 

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users