Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random boot problems and crashing (longish history)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:25 PM

My computer has been randomly crashing and it has a long complicated history for a fairly new computer. There are things I really don't grasp that have happened with this system. I wanted to completely reinstall because I've got most of the files I want saved on discs, but apparently I did not understand what that would require.

Let me try to summarise this as best as I can remember it.

1. I bought this computer and it came not with a reinstallation disk for Windows (I have an acer with windows 7) but four recovery backups. I thought these would work to restore the system as new if anything went wrong. It's what I was told anyway. I'd never used these types of discs and have no knowledge of them.

2. The system began to go bad, the recovery disks didn't work.

3. A supposed friend at the time looked at it, told me I basically got screwed and that some of the internal hardware did not match the disks (none of this made sense to me, mind) and that he replaced the hardware with his own stuff (voiding the warranty without asking me in the process) and made four new recovery disks that he said matched.

4. The computer seems to be on its last legs now, crashing a lot, often not booting without MANY attempts to restart everything and with a client mac address thing happening and refusing to come on at all unless it's connected to the Internet. This happened with my last computer before it died on me and I remember asking this forum or another computer forum and was told that didn't make any sense if I remember correctly. Well, to me either! lol Anyway, the discs when I to use them don't do anything. When I try to run them upon starting the computer, none of the options are clickable. When I try to run them when the windows load normally, nothing seems to be executable? With those not doing anything and no windows 7 installation disc, I don't know if I can do anything on my own here?

5. I recently ran the hitman program on this computer and it found a bunch of garbage like Snap Do and after running it, I couldn't access my internet connection and it couldn't even find the hardware or wireless options and I had to perform a system restore to get back onto the internet.

Did any of that give anybody a clue as to what's going on does anyone know how I can just reset everything or is this likely leading to having to a dead computer? I read somewhere that the client mac address thing starts to happen before it dies. So confused. Way over my head.

Before you judge me, know that when I do something wrong it's because I'm an idiot, not because I'm evil.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:05 AM

I dont think it would be a client mac address issue as there are ways to change your mac address to anything you want without issues. This sounds like it could be a possible issue with the install of windows or possibly just a going dead PC. How new/old is it? Where did you buy it from? What is the brand and model number? Is there a windows product key sticker on it? What are the system specifications?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:32 AM

I dont think it would be a client mac address issue as there are ways to change your mac address to anything you want without issues. This sounds like it could be a possible issue with the install of windows or possibly just a going dead PC. How new/old is it? Where did you buy it from? What is the brand and model number? Is there a windows product key sticker on it? What are the system specifications?

Thanks for checking in on this one. I know you guys are busy. I *think* it's 2011. I don't want to say the name of the shop I bought it from, all things considered but I'm not sure how that would help.

Serial number: LXRD5020051070B5711601

Brand: Acer

Model: Aspire 5253

64 bit operating system

AMD E-350 Processor 1.60 GHz

Because I don't really understand what the aforementioned person did to the system, or if he was right that the shop did a number on me, I have no idea if it makes sense that this thing would be dying, since it hasn't been around long and it was NOT cheap. Again, I don't understand what this guy replaced internally so I don't even know if that would affect my product key or whatever. I don't have the sticker anymore but the system information lists a product ID. Is that the same thing?
It's 00359-OEM-8992687-0006.

Before you judge me, know that when I do something wrong it's because I'm an idiot, not because I'm evil.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:33 AM

No the Product ID is the type of OS that is installed. OEM means that it is the OS that was initially installed by Acer. If you want to recover the key (which you should just in case) use the software Magic Jellybean Keyfinder to retrieve your key. As for the shop you got this from, if it is a small business shop, then yes, you may have gotten screwed :/. I, as a computer repair business owner, have seen a number of PCs come from shops labeled as "New" and they are usually just used computers that someone didnt want to pay for the repairs and left them there, or things that came in broken and were "Refurbished" to working order, but generally we find bigger problems with them that were never fixed. The best thing you can do is:

Backup anything you have on the computer

Pre-Download all drivers to a flash drive/DVD

Retrieve you Key using the software mentioned above

Download a copy of your operating system from Microsoft's Image List:

Burn the image for your OS to a DVD and upon reinstallation, use your product key that you retrieved

Upon windows activation, you may have to use "phone activation" due to the fact that you have an OEM key. Just let them know that you had to format using a retail disc due to lack of "Proper" restore disks. 

This will wipe out EVERYTHING on your computer and take you back to an "Out of Box" style of windows. Before you do this make sure that you have backups of all your files (images, documents, music, etc.) and make sure if you have any other software (Microsoft Office or other software) that you have those CDs/DVDs available because you will lose those programs when reformatting. 

Gavin Seabrook

#5 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:25 AM

Thanks for your time. I'll have my hands full with this one. Crashing before I can get through the download so far! I'm completely okay with it wiping everything if it means I don't have to get another computer. Because I sure don't have the dough. I don't even have flour to make the dough.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

FWIW:  IMO, user attempts to self-eliminate malware...often are not successful.

What model Acer system is this?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users