Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi guys, brand new here, just some general questions.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

I've been using an old Dell Dimension 3000 (XP) for 5 years now and all I did was put 2 gigs of ram in it 5 years ago, since then I've been mainly editing music videos with Vegas Pro and Multi Track Recording with Reaper.  It's not compatible for modern gaming unfortunately, and I've run this thing into the ground doing what I do on it, it's just running hard / almost screaming all of the time.

I was given a Dell XPS 420 that I understand has some upgrades a good IT Guy did, but I'm unsure what was done exactly.  I'm waiting for the correct monitor cable to be shipped so I can find out exactly whats going on inside of the thing, obviously, I know nothing about hardware.

I would like to know how to run a system check to see whats inside so I can compare it to whatever else is out there and how to go about actually comparing whats inside with other systems (the pannel says it runs Vista).

I think it's time to break down and make sure I have something thats truly a good system for 2014 where Recording Multipule Tracks, Mixing, Video Editing and Modern Gaming is a breeze and super smooth.  And if this desktop cant do that, I'm willing to seek another.

So I'd also like to know where the best deals are to be had on already assembled desktops that can do these things with ease but are still affordable (and to be able to price compare).  As a base point, I see that Dell has a modern desktop for $499.00 (4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processor, Windows 8.1, 12GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive) .

I'm on a budget so I would like to shy away from absolute top of the line, maybe if I were compare a computer to a car, I'm much more inclined to go with last years model.

Thank you.

Edited by Stephanie_Says, 04 October 2014 - 11:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:11 PM

Well I'm kinda new here too but i would suggest you download Speccy and post your findings. We will get a better idea of what you have to work with and possibly give suggestions on improvement or possible replacements for you. :smash:

Link->   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Edited by alv117, 04 October 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#3 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:18 PM

Well I'm kinda new here too but i would suggest you download Speccy and post your findings. We will get a better idea of what you have to work with and possibly give suggestions on improvement or possible replacements for you. :smash:

Thanks, alv117! 

That's great advise.  Looking forward to it:)

#4 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:01 AM

Keep us posted! If you can get help anywhere it's here...Great bunch of people :grinner:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users