Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More computer security

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 toolhore

toolhore

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

In light of the recent security breech of Chase I began giving some thought about another security program. But let me first ask a question. Is there something different that a hacker must do thats different from what a webpage must do to gain access to a computer or server? If there is something different required why can't a program that bombs the hackers hard drive be devised?

FYI. I onced purchased a CD to wipe a harddrive and when I clicked the go button that drive was wiped in less than 2 seconds. Why couldn't something like that be installed on a computer to subvert hackers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:40 PM

It can and has, but unfortunately it is illegal. (and does require A LOT of know how)

#3 toolhore

toolhore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:19 PM

Interesting response. I wonder what the logic behind this being illegal is? I would certainly do it if I knew how and would even pay someone to do it if I thought I could trust them.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

Well... in the same sense it is illegal to go and steal a burglars private possessions, it's illegal to destroy a hackers data. You don't own it.

There's plenty of sites about that can advise you on how to get back at hackers, but be warned! Professional hackers are computer experts who will make themselves untraceable, and you may well end up destroying innocent peoples data and inviting the wrath of these people.

Here is a breadcrumb down the path, if you are really interested...

https://www.scriptjunkie.us/2014/09/exploiting-ammyy-admin-developing-an-0day/

#5 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

Consider this attack scenario.

scenario-overview.gif

The attacker would be:

(1) will be using a highly anonymous proxy like TOR to hide their REAL IP, Internet Cafe, or hacked WiFi.
(2) control attack relays, which are Zombie Bots, or simply compromised computers.

How would you know, what your nuking by IP alone?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#6 toolhore

toolhore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

Actually I could care less about who's computer or server got bombed. I think its time drastic action is taken by someone other than the so called leaders of this country who have failed on an epic scale to protect us from the bad guys from other countries. Computers are a way of life now. More protections need to be put in place . From what I understand many European countries are years ahead of America in this area. Once again corporate America would rather take the loss and write it off on their taxes [for those who pay such taxes] instead of doing the right thing and instituting more protection for their customers. Perhaps its time to play dirty pool. Nothing else seems to be working. Since most of these hacking problems seem to come from russia and china, why can't those 2 countries be barred from using the www?

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

lol... you sound like a presidential candidate.

If you really want to secure your own network buy a powerful/firewall router like this. Let everyone else deal with their own issues.

#8 toolhore

toolhore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I never click on a link. I'm just a senior citizens who's fed up with the BS being spewed by so called experts and "know it all's". Until people like me start fighting back these people will continue to lead this country on a path of self destruction.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

Fair enough, I understand your sentiment.

Something I use to analyse suspicious links is:

www.virustotal.com

Great for checking downloaded files also.

Good luck.

#10 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:11 PM

Well now ToolHore, you sound like...

u-feelin-lucky-today-PUNK-do-u-cowboy-ca

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

inviting the wrath of these people.

This would be bad.

There's plenty of sites about that can advise you on how to get back at hackers, but be warned!

Where you will get advice that is usually old, or you will need to install " risky " software that mostly wont work. Not worth the risk or hassle.

Until people like me start fighting back these people will continue to lead this country on a path of self destruction.

The answer is good PC security and surfing habits. It also help's to know the operating system you are using and what it can do. Just make it to hard for them and they move on fast.

I use Linux, I use Ipcop, I use portspoof and a few other things, Now if somebody is willing to go to the effort of bypassing port spoof and my firewall, to hack me, I trully do not care what happens when they find the " HoneyPot " . Stay out of my PC.

Trick Attackers with Portspoof » Linux Magazine

Edited by NickAu1, 04 October 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

A recursive directory on the top of your system tree will break many bots also... it's a good way to "shoo away" the bad guys.

#13 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:26 AM

The answer is good PC security and surfing habits. It also help's to know the operating system you are using and what it can do. Just make it to hard for them and they move on fast. I use Linux, I use Ipcop, I use portspoof and a few other things, Now if somebody is willing to go to the effort of bypassing port spoof and my firewall, to hack me, I trully do not care what happens when they find the " HoneyPot " . Stay out of my PC. Trick Attackers with Portspoof » Linux Magazine

This is Operating System, (OS) and software based, THEN there is the electronic hacking hardware. :crazy:

Edited by Crazy Cat, 05 October 2014 - 01:27 AM.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:08 AM

facepalm-34x34.jpg

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

And I think we have gone far enough off topic that we can close this.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users