Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

psensor help

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

I just installed psensor in my linux mint 17 through the Software Manager but have no idea how to use it.  I did look at the website but still don't follow most of it.  I see the cpu usage but don't understand any of the other figures or what they are referring to.  What do I want to be aware of, I was thinking that it would be most important to know if laptop is getting hot or if I am just overusing it by having too many tabs open.

Here is the linux mint site for it: http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/psensor

Then this site mentions loading sensors, do I need to do this in Linux Mint 17 or is this just for Ubuntu.

http://wpitchoune.net/blog/psensor/

I checked the first box as you can see just out of curiosity.  Don't know if I need to check other boxes and don't see any colors for each section like on the screenshots at there website.  Okay I did check more boxes and see that this gives me the graphs.  It seems 2,3,4 are not doing anything so would not apply to my laptop.  

Any help is well appreciated as usual.

Screenshot-Psensor-TemperatureMonitor_zp

Edited by pcpunk, 04 October 2014 - 12:34 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

Do you have lm-sensors installed? If you are unsure, run:
sensors -v
..and the output should be something like this:
sensors version 3.3.1 with libsensors version 3.3.1
...if you have it installed.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

Al1000, it is not installed, but has given me the command to do so.  Do I uninstall psensor first, because it says, for Ubuntu, install the lm-sensor first at this site?: http://wpitchoune.net/blog/psensor/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

I'm not sure if it's necessary to first of all uninstall psensor, but you do need to install lm-sensors.

If all you want to do is check CPU temperature, you don't need psensor anyway. I can check my CPU temperature at any time with lm-sensors by simply running the command:
sensors
Alternatively, if you have conky installed, you might be able to get CPU temperature to display in conky by adding
CPU Temp: ${hwmon temp 1}C
..to /etc/conky/conky.conf

That's how I do it. :)

Edited by Al1000, 04 October 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

I uninstalled psensor, installed the lm-sensors, then reinstalled psensor.  I followed the command line here: http://wpitchoune.net/blog/psensor/  I also installed hddtemp and believe that I have this temp now but still not completely sure wich one it is.  I have looked around for some information for linux mint psensor but found none that tell me what I would like to know. 

Also, there are no colors?

These are the things it is supposed to do, but I still don't understand which is which, except for the 

One of the reasons I wanted this, is to be warned if something gets hot, as it states here.

Psensor attributes:

Psensor is a gtk+ application for monitoring hardware sensors, including temperatures and fan speeds.

it displays a curve for each sensor, alerts user using desktop notification and application indicator when a temperature is too high.

it can monitor:
* the temperature of the motherboard and cpu sensors (using lm-sensors).
* the temperature of the nvidia gpus (using xnvctrl).
* the temperature of the hard disk drives (using hddtemp or atasmart lib).
* the rotation speed of the fans (using lm-sensors).
* the sensors of a remote computer (using psensor-server).

Edited by pcpunk, 05 October 2014 - 10:39 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:22 AM

Did you run:
sudo sensors-detect
... and if so, did you complete all of the steps?

After installing lm-sensors, you need to get it to detect the sensors on your computer by running that command.

The CPU temperature sensor was the only sensor it detected on my laptop, after completing every step in sensors-detect, although as your laptop is better than mine it might have more sensors on it. So when I run lm-sensors by typing the command

sensors
...all it displays is the CPU temperature.

snapshotKubuntu14_zps8f64a5c7.jpeg

These are the things it is supposed to do, but I still don't understand which is which, except for the

One of the reasons I wanted this, is to be warned if something gets hot, as it states here.

It should be able to display CPU temperature, but whether it will be able to do any of these other things will depend on what sensors your laptop hardware has.

Using lm-sensors to update any display (such as psensors) every few seconds or so, would be quite a resource intensive way of doing it, never mind the resources required to run the display itself.

The script I posted for conky on the other hand, utilises software that is already there, and simply displays the output in conky. Also, conky is probably the least resource intensive system monitor display that you could get. As you can see in my screenshot, conky displays all that lm-sensors is able to display, not to mention a whole bunch of other stuff, and it does so using less resources than lm-sensors alone, uses. So for me, installing lm-sensors on this laptop was a waste, as I don't gain anything from it, - although of course I didn't know that until I installed it.

I also have lm-sensors installed on my desktop pc, and it has more sensors, but even so I don't use the output of lm-sensors for anything, and instead display CPU temperature in conky using hwmon like I do on my laptop.

Edited by Al1000, 05 October 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

Did you run:

sudo sensors-detect
... and if so, did you complete all of the steps?  Yes, but it was confusing toward the end.  Again, I have four sensors active I just don't know which is which?  This along with wanting a warning if something gets hot.

After installing lm-sensors, you need to get it to detect the sensors on your computer by running that command.

The CPU temperature sensor was the only sensor it detected on my laptop, after completing every step in sensors-dete ct, although as your laptop is better than mine it might have more sensors on it. So when I run lm-sensors by typing the command

sensors
...all it displays is the CPU temperature.

It should be able to display CPU temperature, but whether it will be able to do any of these other things will depend on what sensors your laptop hardware has.  Yes I am quite sure cpu temp. is "core o" especially after looking at your output.

Using lm-sensors to update any display (such as psensors) every few seconds or so, would be quite a resource intensive way of doing it, never mind the resources required to run the display itself.  I understand and I love to be efficient so that is very good to know.  How often it displays/monitors can be adjusted by the number of seconds quite easily.  Again, the thing I want most is the Warning if something gets hot.

The script I posted for conky on the other hand, utilises software that is already there, and simply displays the output in conky. Also, conky is probably the least resource intensive system monitor display that you could get. As you can see in my screenshot, conky displays all that lm-sensors is able to display, not to mention a whole bunch of other stuff, and it does so using less resources than lm-sensors alone, uses. So for me, installing lm-sensors on this laptop was a waste, as I don't gain anything from it, - although of course I didn't know that until I installed it.  Okay, I obviously can use Conky, but does it have this type of Warning if something gets hot?

I also have lm-sensors installed on my desktop pc, and it has more sensors, but even so I don't use the output of lm-sensors for anything, and instead display CPU temperature in conky using hwmon like I do on my laptop.

Thanks Al1000

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

Here is my sensor output.  I still don't know which is which and now the numbers are even more confusing.  What is (crit = +256.0°C)  is this the critical temp.  And this does not tell me which one is active?  Again I can't find any good info too describe this.  I even emailed the designer in hopes that I will  be pointed in the right direction to understand this.  Some of the dialogue boxes I have seen it tells one what is what, perhaps this is just in Ubuntu?  I wonder if I should uninstall and download the Ubuntu stuff if this does not work out? 

Note:  Number 1, 2, 5, Core 0, and Core 1 appear to be active.

chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA ~ $ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +50.0°C  (crit = +256.0°C)
temp2:        +51.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C)
temp3:        +47.0°C  (crit = +105.0°C)
temp4:        +16.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C)
temp5:        +35.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +53.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:       +54.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Edited by pcpunk, 05 October 2014 - 11:09 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:29 PM

Now psensor won't even come up OMG lol, does anyone have some advil.

I have also looked around to see what my max cpu temp. should be but don't seem to be able to find that either.

Edit:  Okay Reinstalled the psensor in the S.P.M and it works again.  I have now figured out how to designate the colors to the devices! baby steps I guess.

I have also set up Desktop Warnings based on the highest temps recorded.  I have done this as I cannot find out what the max temps are for cpu, and I still don't know what all the other temps are for.  Poor software?

Edited by pcpunk, 05 October 2014 - 12:59 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

psensor not working again? omg!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

I do see know that a person can change the device name, now I just need to know which number is which device.

Edited by pcpunk, 05 October 2014 - 01:26 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

This is what I get on my other computer:

al@al-System-Product-Name:~$ sensors

acpitz-virtual-0

Adapter: Virtual device

temp1:        +40.0°C  (crit = +75.0°C)

atk0110-acpi-0

Adapter: ACPI interface

Vcore Voltage:           +1.23 V  (min =  +1.45 V, max =  +1.75 V)

+3.3 Voltage:           +3.26 V  (min =  +3.00 V, max =  +3.60 V)

+5.0 Voltage:           +4.87 V  (min =  +4.50 V, max =  +5.50 V)

+12.0 Voltage:          +12.03 V  (min = +11.20 V, max = +13.20 V)

CPU FAN Speed:           894 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, max = 1800 RPM)

CHASSIS FAN Speed:         0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, max = 1800 RPM)

CHASSIS2 FAN Speed:        0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, max = 1800 RPM)

CHASSIS3 FAN FAN Speed:    0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, max = 1800 RPM)

CHASSIS4 FAN FAN Speed:    0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, max = 1800 RPM)

POWER FAN FAN Speed:       0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, max = 1800 RPM)

CHIP FAN FAN Speed:        0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, max = 1800 RPM)

CPU Temperature:         +30.0°C  (high = +90.0°C, crit = +125.0°C)

MB Temperature:          +32.0°C  (high = +70.0°C, crit = +125.0°C)

k8temp-pci-00c3

Adapter: PCI adapter

Core0 Temp:   +31.0°C  

Core1 Temp:   +35.0°C

The CPU temperatures that lm-sensors reports are slightly different from the ones that hwmon shows in conky, so I suspect that these two:

temp1:        +50.0°C  (crit = +256.0°C)
temp2:        +51.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C)

... might refer to your CPU, as well as Core0 and Core1.

These are possibly the graphics, battery charger and MB.

temp3:        +47.0°C  (crit = +105.0°C)
temp4:        +16.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C)
temp5:        +35.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C)

You need a solution like this:

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/7607/how-to-identify-lm_sensors-output/

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

Okay, I obviously can use Conky, but does it have this type of Warning if something gets hot?

Nope, conky doesn't have that type of warning.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

I prefer Conky.

16aqss4.png

This is my .conkyrc

background no
update_interval 1

cpu_avg_samples 2
net_avg_samples 2
temperature_unit celsius

double_buffer yes
no_buffers yes
text_buffer_size 2048

gap_x 40
gap_y 50
minimum_size 500 200
maximum_width 800
own_window yes
own_window_type conky
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_argb_visual yes
own_window_hints undecorate,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,below
border_inner_margin 0
border_outer_margin 0
alignment tr

draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no

override_utf8_locale yes
use_xft yes
xftfont caviar dreams:size=9
xftalpha 0.5
uppercase no

default_color FFFFFF
color1 ffffff
color2 ffffff
color3 ffffff

lua_load ~/.conky/conky_grey.lua
lua_draw_hook_post main

TEXT
${voffset 35}${font Ubuntu:size=10}${color1}
${offset 30}CPU${offset 50}RAM${offset 50}ROOT${offset 40}MEDIA${offset 50}UP${offset 40}DOWN

${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 0}${offset -2}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 2}${color1}${cpu}% ${freq_g} Ghz ${machine}  ${acpitemp}°C
${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 0}${offset -2}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 2}${color1}${execi 1000 cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | sed -e 's/model name.*: //'| uniq | cut -c 1-26}
${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset -12}${offset 93}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset -34}${color1}${mem}/${memmax}
${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 0}${offset 220}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset -9}${color1}${fs_used /}/${fs_size /}

${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 0}${offset 200}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 5}${color1}${diskiograph 6,50 ffffff ffffff}  ${hddtemp /dev/sda} °C
${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 0}${offset 220}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 3}${color1}${diskio}/s
${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 0}${offset 250}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset -38}${color1}${fs_used /media/Media}/${fs_size /media/Media}
${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 0}${offset -1}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 10}${color1}${pre_exec cat /etc/issue.net}
${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 0}${offset 327}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset -10}${color1}${totalup eth0}/${upspeed eth0}
${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 0}${offset 406}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset -10}${color1}${totaldown eth0}/${downspeed eth0}
${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 0}${offset 350}${font Xirod:size=7}${voffset 5}${color1}Assimilation node IP: ${addr }

${font Xirod:size=8}${goto 160}${voffset -20}${time %A} ${time %d %B %Y} 
${font Xirod:size=18}${goto 169}${voffset -3}${time %H}:${time %M}    ${font Xirod:size=15}
${font Xirod:size=8}${goto 60}${voffset -5}User: ${uid_name 1000}@${nodename} for ${uptime_short}  Updates:${execi 360 aptitude search "~U" | wc -l | tail}    Load $loadavg
${font Xirod:size=8}${goto -12}${voffset 10}${color ffffff}${offset 20}Regeneration Alcove
${font Xirod:size=8}${goto -12}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${battery_bar 2,70} 
${font Xirod:size=8}${goto -18}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${battery}
${font Xirod:size=8}${goto -12}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${acpiacadapter}
${font Xirod:size=8}${goto -12}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${battery_time}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset -60}${color ffffff}${offset 20}Sub-Space Links: ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 count}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset 2}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rip  0} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rport 0}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rip  1} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rport 1}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rip  2} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rport 2}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rip  3} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rport 3}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rip  4} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rport 4}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rip  5} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rport 5}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rip  6} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rport 6}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rip  7} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rport 7}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rip  8} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rport 8}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 220}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rip  9} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 rport 9}
${font Xirod:size=8}${goto 330}${voffset -113}${color ffffff}${offset 20}Borg Cubes:  ${running_processes}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 320}${voffset 3}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${top name 1}${top mem 1} ${top cpu 1}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 320}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${top name 2}${top mem 2} ${top cpu 2}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 320}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${top name 3}${top mem 3} ${top cpu 3}

${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 320}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${top_mem name 1}${top_mem cpu 1}${top_mem mem 1}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 320}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${top_mem name 2}${top_mem cpu 2}${top_mem mem 2}
${font Xirod:size=7}${goto 320}${voffset 0}${color ffffff}${offset 20}${top_mem name 3}${top_mem cpu 3}${top_mem mem 3}

I guess my point is that conky needs to be " configured"

sensors -v

My output Al

sensors version 3.3.4 with libsensors version 3.3.4

Edited by NickAu1, 06 October 2014 - 12:14 AM.

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:26 AM

I prefer Conky.

Me too, but what pcpunk wants the most is whatever type of warning psensors gives.

Again, the thing I want most is the Warning if something gets hot.

Okay, I obviously can use Conky, but does it have this type of Warning if something gets hot?

pcpunk, what type of warning are we talking about here?

How about this?

conky_big_red_letters_zpsdbe16828.jpeg

Here is my conky.conf, edited to show CPU temperature in big red characters:

alignment top_right
background true
border_width 1
cpu_avg_samples 2
default_color 000000
default_outline_color white
default_shade_color white
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
use_xft yes
xftfont Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:size=9
gap_x 5
gap_y 50
minimum_size 5 5
net_avg_samples 2
double_buffer yes
out_to_console no
own_window yes
own_window_argb_visual yes
own_window_argb_value 100
own_window_transparent yes
#own_window_class conky
own_window_type normal
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
stippled_borders 0
update_interval 05.0
uppercase no
use_spacer none
show_graph_scale no
show_graph_range no

TEXT
${color}${scroll 16 $nodename - $sysname $kernel on $machine | }
Uptime: $uptime
${color green}$hr
${color}RAM Usage: $mem/$memmax - $memperc% ${membar 4}
Swap Usage: $swap/$swapmax - $swapperc% ${swapbar 4}
${color green}$hr
${color}CPU Usage: $cpu% ${cpubar 4}
${color red}CPU Temp:${font Xirod:size=48}${hwmon temp 1}C
${font}${color}Frequency: ${freq}MHz
${color green}$hr
${color}File systems:/ ${fs_free /}/${fs_size /} ${fs_bar 6 /}
${color green}$hr
${color}Networking:
Up: ${upspeed eth0} k/s Down: ${downspeed eth0} k/s
${color green}$hr
${color}Processes: $processes Running: $running_processes
${color green}$hr
${color}Name PID CPU% MEM%
${top name 1} ${top pid 1} ${top cpu 1} ${top mem 1}
${top name 2} ${top pid 2} ${top cpu 2} ${top mem 2}
${top name 3} ${top pid 3} ${top cpu 3} ${top mem 3}
${top name 4} ${top pid 4} ${top cpu 4} ${top mem 4}
${top name 5} ${top pid 5} ${top cpu 5} ${top mem 5}

Edited by Al1000, 06 October 2014 - 05:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users