Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway hardware question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ezrel

Ezrel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

I have a gateway ZX6961 and when I turn it on, I get a solid single beep.  It does not post. I have changed out the CMOS battery, makes no difference.  It is an All-in-one PC.  Parts are not easily available.  I can not find any answer as to what the "beep" indicates.  I am thinking the PS or MOBO is toast.  How can I find out without getting charges a big fee from GAteway?   Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2014 - 01:30 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:16 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

I don't remember ever seen a machine that beeps because of a Power Supply problem.

The beep it's only a single one without repetition? If possible remove the memory to see if the beep code changes.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Ezrel

Ezrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

Thank you for a fast response.   After removing the memory, still a single solid tone.  no change.   no post

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

This computer isn't passing the POST.  This usually is because a peripheral device has failed.

Gateway describes on possibility, if this is one continuous beep this could be ether a keyboard with a stuck key, or a problem with the mouse.

Gateway suggests turning off the computer and press all of the keys one at a time to be sure you don't  have a stuck key.

With the computer still off, press the right and then left click buttons to make sure they are functions.

Try starting the computer again.

This could also be a loose connection for either of the two.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ezrel

Ezrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

This is an All in one pc with wireless mouse and keyboard.   I am using the Kb/mouse on another PC atm and not in the same room.  Still getting the same result with the solid tone after removing the memory and changing out the CMOS battery. 

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:38 PM

Thank you for a fast response.   After removing the memory, still a single solid tone.  no change.   no post

If you have more than one dimm of memory try one at a time.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:41 PM

You did reinstall the two, right?

I'm well aware of the computer you are using.  I downloaded the manual for it to see what was listed for beep codes.  The troubleshooting suggestions came from the manual.

Are you using the same wifi adapter on both computers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Ezrel

Ezrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

Even with no memory in the pc, I should still see the Bios and post.  (barring the video card has failed)   I am not seeing anything on screen.  Still solid, single tone. 

#9 Ezrel

Ezrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

Ok.  this pc has a single USB adapter to function both mouse and keyboard.   As to reinstalling, not possible. I cant even get it to post. 

Edited by Ezrel, 04 October 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

Even with no memory in the pc, I should still see the Bios and post. 

The POST would fail without RAM.  This is one of the purposes of the POST, to see if any of the peripherals had failed and to then report what the failure was.  This can be either a series of beeps or configurations of two or more LEDs.  The POST has to be successful in order for the BIOS to load.

What I was asking about regarding reinstalling was the mouse and keyboard.

Edited by dc3, 04 October 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#11 Ezrel

Ezrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

Even with no memory in the pc, I should still see the Bios and post. 

The POST would fail without RAM.  This is one of the purposes of the POST, to see if any of the peripherals had failed and to then report what the failure was.  This can be either a series of beeps or configurations of two or more LEDs.  The POST has to be successful in order for the BIOS to load.

What I was asking about regarding reinstalling was the mouse and keyboard

Thank you for your help DC3.   What I am finding is whether I have memory in the pc or not, I still get a solid, single tone lasting until I turn off the PC.  Nothing on screen, but it does power up the backlighting.   I am trying to place a single dimm module in at a time to see if that will let it POST, but I am getting the same result. 

#12 Ezrel

Ezrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

I am thinking this is a mobo issue.  With or without the USB adapter for keyboard/mouse, I am getting the same single tone beep.  I have unplugged the HD and DVD from the mobo, same result.  Having onboard video and audio, I have stripped away all I can from the mobo and I still get the same result when I turn it on. 

thank you guys for your assistance. 

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

If you haven't, reinstall all of your RAM and try it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users